The Student Room Group
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews

Why was I rejected from St Andrews University?

I'm very confused. I am a UK student and applied for undergraduate psychology at St Andrews, and I exceeded the entry requirements, which were AAB, and my predicted grades for my A level exams this year are A*A*A*. I got 10 A*'s and 1 A at GCSE, despite extenuating circumstances which I mentioned in my personal statement. I received offers from Oxford University, UCL, Kings and Warwick for Psychology, so I am very confused why I was just rejected from St Andrews. Can anyone tell me why? Was anyone else rejected recently, particularly for psychology?
Could range from having a high demand for the course, better personal statements or that you may not have had what they’re looking for (subject wise, etc). Some may want grades and some may be more focused on getting to know the individual and seeing if their personality fits into the type of person they’re looking for for their course.

I wouldn’t take it personally tho since each uni is different. Congrats by the way for the uni’s you did get into! 🥳🥳

Was St Andrew’s the one u rlly wanted to go to?
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous
Could range from having a high demand for the course, better personal statements or that you may not have had what they’re looking for (subject wise, etc). Some may want grades and some may be more focused on getting to know the individual and seeing if their personality fits into the type of person they’re looking for for their course.
I wouldn’t take it personally tho since each uni is different. Congrats by the way for the uni’s you did get into! 🥳🥳
Was St Andrew’s the one u rlly wanted to go to?

I was told by a University of Oxford admissions fellow that my personal statement was excellent, so I don't think that was the issue. I also chose all the subjects St Andrews prefers students take for that course. St Andrews was supposed to be my insurance place, and now I don't have one, so it's either I go to a really great university, or I go nowhere 😭. Also, it only says on UCAS I've not been given a place, but on the actual St Andrews admissions portal, it says 'pending decision' , whereas the last time I checked it it said 'checking application'. Does this mean there's still some hope and I haven't been rejected?
I was told by a University of Oxford admissions fellow that my personal statement was excellent, so I don't think that was the issue. I also chose all the subjects St Andrews prefers students take for that course. St Andrews was supposed to be my insurance place, and now I don't have one, so it's either I go to a really great university, or I go nowhere 😭. Also, it only says on UCAS I've not been given a place, but on the actual St Andrews admissions portal, it says 'pending decision' , whereas the last time I checked it it said 'checking application'. Does this mean there's still some hope and I haven't been rejected?

Okay that’s great then! It’s not your personal statement. So it’s probably the uni. I get that now it puts a lot of pressure for you to perform well (I didn’t have to cuz my insurance I was basically guaranteed to get into cuz the grade boundary was lower and I picked the one I wanted as my firm), but with 10 A* I think you’re capable 😊
Also I’d just keep checking the portal as it gets updated faster than UCAS. It seems like you may still have a chance.
I'm very confused. I am a UK student and applied for undergraduate psychology at St Andrews, and I exceeded the entry requirements, which were AAB, and my predicted grades for my A level exams this year are A*A*A*. I got 10 A*'s and 1 A at GCSE, despite extenuating circumstances which I mentioned in my personal statement. I received offers from Oxford University, UCL, Kings and Warwick for Psychology, so I am very confused why I was just rejected from St Andrews. Can anyone tell me why? Was anyone else rejected recently, particularly for psychology?

St Andrews has the highest average UCAS tariff of any uni in the UK and is very hard to get into. They must have had other applicants with stronger grades and better personal statements for the limited number of places, the other unis you have got offers for are also great though.
My son was rejected by St Andrews yesterday. He has an offer from Cambridge but wanted St Andrews as insurance. He’s firmed Cambridge with Edinburgh as insurance. He’s RUK non-contextual with 10A* GCSE, A* Maths A-Level a year early and is predicted 4A* overall. He’s disappointed but obviously not meant to be.
Reply 6
St Andrews hasn't always been quite so hard to get in to but because it's relatively small all it takes us a spike in popularity (like a future king and queen studying there, although the fact it's Scotlands's oldest university means it can always get noticed) for it to be potentially harder to get in to than Oxbridge. Because more people will achieve the asking grades than will achieve the asking grades at Oxbridge. So more people end up rejected from St Andrews than from Oxbridge sometimes. This doesn't make St Andrews better, unless you like the place better.
(edited 1 month ago)
Reply 7
yes, Oxford for psychology is 12% acceptance rate and St Andrews for psychology is 5.6% acceptance rate. It is super competitive.
Congrats for your offers though!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending