The Student Room Group

Last minute tips for maths gcse edexcel?

I have never particularly been gifted in maths and i have done many past papers and have gotten tuition in the past, being stuck on a grade 5 and 6.
are there any tips/advice anyone could give me before my exam begins?
Original post by s1enn5
I have never particularly been gifted in maths and i have done many past papers and have gotten tuition in the past, being stuck on a grade 5 and 6.

A bit late to ask such a question.

Have you looked at where you went wrong with the past papers? Is there a common theme amongst your mistakes? A specific topic, style of question, accuracy issues, or are they all sort of all over the place?
If it's a specific topic - do more revision in that topic
If it's a style of question, look through the mark scheme to see specifically what such question asks for to get full marks
If it's an accuracy issue is it because you're rushing through the question or is stress getting to you? If you're rushing, slow things down by a second or two. It's not about the first to finish the paper, it's about getting the most questions right. If it's about leaving the answer in the incorrect format, what is the mark scheme/question specifically looking for and why did you put the answer the way that you did?
If it's stress, then try meditating and practice doing things under timed conditions. It's about enough stress to focus but being relaxed enough to not let it overwhelm you and make you lose focus. It's easier said than done, but if you practice properly and try focusing enough, you should be fine.

If it's something specific, then you would need to be specific and list them out ideally before your exam start.
Original post by s1enn5
I would recommend to look at past papers and highlight your weaknesses, then do topic based practice on those.
Original post by s1enn5

Look over past papers you've done (mainly recent ones), look over how you got it wrong and how you would improve, then find practice questions online and do them, usually on CorbettMaths. Also, attempt the last questions of past papers. If you have no more past papers, do the mock set papers, which should be available online.

Good luck! 🤞
Reply 4
Original post by s1enn5

If you have done many past papers, do you look back at them??
What i did is created a learning sheet where i wrote down all the nuances i got wrong in my past papers and read that before doing a another paper. It really helped.
Reply 5
Original post by s1enn5

use onmaths to do questions based on your ability. TGMT predicted grade tool is also good.
https://www.onmaths.com/
https://thegcsemathstutor.co.uk/freesource-gcse-maths-predicted-grade/
Original post by s1enn5

i would say use walkthrough exam videos. like, i do edexcel too- and sometimes i'll print off a past paper and then find a youtube video that walks through the whole paper so i have all the workings out and stuff for the all the questions (especially the harder ones at the end). maths genie literally does the walkthrough videos all the time, and it's really good for understanding because they explain every single step- and you basically watch them work it out. if you want, you can pause it and try and work it out yourself before seeing how they do it if you want to test what you know. when it comes to maths it's mostly practice that will get you there- so those videos are really helpful. after doing that, then try and do practice questions from a different paper or set of questions to apply your knowledge. hope that helps 🫶
(edited 1 month ago)
Reply 7
Original post by itsadara
i would say use walkthrough exam videos. like, i do edexcel too- and sometimes i'll print off a past paper and then find a youtube video that walks through the whole paper so i have all the workings out and stuff for the all the questions (especially the harder ones at the end). maths genie literally does the walkthrough videos all the time, and it's really good for understanding because they explain every single step- and you basically watch them work it out. if you want, you can pause it and try and work it out yourself before seeing how they do it if you want to test what you know. when it comes to maths it's mostly practice that will get you there- so those videos are really helpful. after doing that, then try and do practice questions from a different paper or set of questions to apply your knowledge. hope that helps 🫶

thank you!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending