The Student Room Group

Will they be lenient in my plagiarism accusations?

Hi guys! I wanted to ask for some opinions on a matter that’s happening right now, I’ve been accused of plagiarism in on of my last exams at uni (I’m 4th year). Although I do have extenuating circumstances. First of all I had no intention of plagiarising and even if I did it was completely accidental, as well turn it in still hasn’t given me a plagiarism score, this was the first year we were to reference in the exam (which was open book) and I had no idea how much or little to use, since there are no past papers that show this. And finally, the extenuating circumstance being that the day of the exam we had got the news that my dad (who has a high stage of cancer) was worsening and would have to go through major surgery in the next few weeks. Do you reckon that if I present this at my hearing they might be lenient and allow for me to at least graduate?
apologies in advance if this sounds harsh
while your dad going through cancer makes me feel incredibly sorry that you have to go through that, i'm pretty sure whoever is giving you a plagiarism score won't take that into account as it doesn't really affect you plagiarizing. you could tell them that it was accidental and you didn't mean to, and that you weren't sure how much of the text to use, those would probably be the best reasons.
I used to manage the disciplinary process for a college, including academic misconduct.

I strongly suggest that you read their published policy and consult your student union who should have experience supporting students on academic matters.

Ours was a black and white policy - consistent decisions and outcomes for every student where misconduct was proven.

We encountered and appreciated honesty and gave advice and guidance to help those with extenuating circumstances.

But we still held them fully responsible for assessment malpractice, whatever their grounds.
Original post by Anonymous
Hi guys! I wanted to ask for some opinions on a matter that’s happening right now, I’ve been accused of plagiarism in on of my last exams at uni (I’m 4th year). Although I do have extenuating circumstances. First of all I had no intention of plagiarising and even if I did it was completely accidental, as well turn it in still hasn’t given me a plagiarism score, this was the first year we were to reference in the exam (which was open book) and I had no idea how much or little to use, since there are no past papers that show this. And finally, the extenuating circumstance being that the day of the exam we had got the news that my dad (who has a high stage of cancer) was worsening and would have to go through major surgery in the next few weeks. Do you reckon that if I present this at my hearing they might be lenient and allow for me to at least graduate?

Hi,

If I were you, I would get in contact with your student union and academic advisors as soon as possible. The student union are unbiased towards the university and will give you honest advice and fight for you as much as possible.

Estelle
Third Year Psychology
University of Huddersfield
Never back down. Fight them with every ounce of ur being. Dney, deny, deny

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending