The Student Room Group

what should i do the night before a gcse MATHS exam

hello!! i’ve asked this question before but i definitely need it answered for maths it’s my weakest subject and im terrified for thursday whats the best thing i can do the night before for paper 1?? if i could hear from people good at maths that would be great
(i do edexcel higher by the way if anyone wants to know)
Reply 1
I also do Edexcel Higher Maths. But anyways, what you should do, since maths is on Thursday, just do questions on PMT, CorbettMaths, etc. I don't recommend doing Maths the night before if you're struggling, so definitely start now, or at least when English lit is done. Definitely do questions on topics that you're struggling in, and also don't forget your trigonometry tables! Very important.

PS. if you wanna remember trig tables, for sin it's just Sqrt(0)/2, then Sqrt(1)/2, etc. For Cosine it's just reversed. For tangent, it's the Sine divided by Cosine (better off just remembering tan separately)

Good luck! 🤞
Original post by ctrlm.
hello!! i’ve asked this question before but i definitely need it answered for maths it’s my weakest subject and im terrified for thursday whats the best thing i can do the night before for paper 1?? if i could hear from people good at maths that would be great

Don’t do too much the night before. You can do past papers in the morning or afternoon before but don’t do any by evening time.

I would recap any necessary formulas, watch videos on topics you are struggling with/do a few questions on the topic.

Remember your brain needs a good amount of sleep to be good at maths in the morning! So definitely sleep early and have a shower before bed to help!
Reply 3
Original post by Apeiro :)
I also do Edexcel Higher Maths. But anyways, what you should do, since maths is on Thursday, just do questions on PMT, CorbettMaths, etc. I don't recommend doing Maths the night before if you're struggling, so definitely start now, or at least when English lit is done. Definitely do questions on topics that you're struggling in, and also don't forget your trigonometry tables! Very important.
PS. if you wanna remember trig tables, for sin it's just Sqrt(0)/2, then Sqrt(1)/2, etc. For Cosine it's just reversed. For tangent, it's the Sine divided by Cosine (better off just remembering tan separately)
Good luck! 🤞
thanks so much and good luck to you too! haha don't worry i wasn't planning on starting revision the night before just wanted to know the best thing i could do. i will remember! thanks again
Reply 4
Original post by ctrlm.
thanks so much and good luck to you too! haha don't worry i wasn't planning on starting revision the night before just wanted to know the best thing i could do. i will remember! thanks again

No problem! You'll do well! Good luck man!
Reply 5
Original post by kitty15
Don’t do too much the night before. You can do past papers in the morning or afternoon before but don’t do any by evening time.
I would recap any necessary formulas, watch videos on topics you are struggling with/do a few questions on the topic.
Remember your brain needs a good amount of sleep to be good at maths in the morning! So definitely sleep early and have a shower before bed to help!

hi again! thanks a lot for replying, i'll take note of this
Original post by ctrlm.

i recommend doing predicted papers :smile:)
Reply 7
Original post by littlebitmine

Where would you get them from?
Original post by Apeiro :)
Where would you get them from?

first class maths has at least two for edexcel higher and one for aqa
https://www.1stclassmaths.com/exam-papers
Reply 9
Original post by littlebitmine

thank youu

Quick Reply