The Student Room Group
Studying at Cardiff University
Cardiff University
Visit website

Cardiff English Language and Literature (BA)

Hi! I’m in year 12. Hope to go to Cardiff in 2025. Can anyone help with top tips for drafting my personal statement?
Thanks!! :smile:
Hi there!

Its great to see that you're already preparing your personal statement! I think a great way to start is to draw on your current experiences - such as your volunteering experience, any work you do, even year 10 work experience or anything you did before your A-Levels. I'd think about the skills you've drawn from those experiences, and how it relates to your degree. It can be related content wise, but it is also good to talk how it relates to specific academic skills to your degree (eg., group work, essay writing etc)

I think this also really helps to identify any gaps in your personal statement. It's good to show that you have further interest for the course you're applying to further to your A-Levels. Some nice ways to demonstrate this may be extra reading, or taking MOOCs (massive online open courses, which are free) on the internet.

Another tip is that structure is really important. Think about the way your PS flows, and how easy it is to read. Definitely show your personal statement to people you trust and have them proofread it!

Let me know if you had any other questions :smile:

~ Fatiha, Cardiff University Student Rep
Studying at Cardiff University
Cardiff University
Visit website
Original post by emily260311
Hi! I’m in year 12. Hope to go to Cardiff in 2025. Can anyone help with top tips for drafting my personal statement?
Thanks!! :smile:

Hi there,

Further to Fatiha's great advice, I'd like to emphasise that, at this level, your personal statement is a statement of purpose, therefore, this is your opportunity to explain your motivations to study the course. You can outline any previous experience that you may have (though it is common to not have a lot at this level), but make sure to emphasis how each experience equipped or motivated you to want to study a specific subject. Then, your personal statement is much more personal and relatable, rather than a list of skills. However, don't overthink it! This is an opportunity to reflect on you and you have plenty of time - just make sure to get a few different people to read over your draft.

I hope this helps!

All the best,
Jaz - Cardiff student rep

Quick Reply