The Student Room Group

URGENT need for housing advice!

I am based in Scotland, living in a privately owned house as subtenant. When I signed the agreement early this year, it was agreed that I would be able to stay until late July before the owner takes back the house for resale. While looking for alternative houses, I was suddenly told by the main tenant that the owner decided to take it back next month to fix the things that are broken, i.e. I have to move out in a month.

I feel distressed because of such suddenness and difficulty securing a house to stay for however long within such a short time. My parents don't prefer me to fight it but move in to somewhere else as soon as possible, but I find it unfair because of the reason as mentioned.

I read from Shelter Scotland that house owners don't need a court order to evict subtenants who refuse to leave but are able to call the police to remove them directly. I have reaching out to the local pro bono legal support centre for help, pending their response.

But this really really really stresses me out. Does anyone know how I should handle this?
Shelter Scotland are experts in housing law though it doesn't hurt to have a second opinion.

If they are telling you that you have few or no rights, then you have few or no rights so you better find new accommodation asap. - housing law trumps your feelings about promises not kept.

Since this means you will be homeless within a month, you should contact the homeless team of your local council for support.
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous
Shelter Scotland are experts in housing law though it doesn't hurt to have a second opinion.
If they are telling you that you have few or no rights, then you have few or no rights so you better find new accommodation asap. - housing law trumps your feelings about promises not kept.
Since this means you will be homeless within a month, you should contact the homeless team of your local council for support.

I did, pending their response.
Reply 3
Spare room website might have a short term let .
Reply 4
I thought you were moving out in a month as you had found 'cheaper alternative accommodation'?
(edited 2 months ago)
Reply 5
Original post by Surnia
I thought you were moving out in a month as you had found 'cheaper alternative accommodation'?

What is the issue with you?
Reply 6
Original post by Anonymous
What is the issue with you?

I'm.just asking for clarification based on what I read on another thread, or it's a big coincidence that there's 2 people in the same position:

"My lease will end in fewer than three months and I may move out in a month because I have found cheaper alternative accommodation."
"The house owner decides to sell the house. They are ending the tenancy in a month...everything comes crushing down on me"

Quick Reply