The Student Room Group

How to teach yourself A level Further Maths

Hello, i’m currently in year 12 and have just switched Computer Science to Further Math. Ive been told to catch up till the start of year 13, but a bit stuck about resources.
Reply 1
Original post by thedogofmaths
Hello, i’m currently in year 12 and have just switched Computer Science to Further Math. Ive been told to catch up till the start of year 13, but a bit stuck about resources.

Hey i am in year 13 doing further maths. How many months are you behind of others? The catch up i actually recommend the textbook (for edexcel it is very clear and useful). Read through it until you feel you know all the aspects then do physic maths tutor questions. Then maybe advance to Madas questions on the topics. Like this you may even me ahead of others. Do you do four subjects?
Reply 2

Hello,

I self taught myself further maths as level, and what I think was really useful is to watch the videos of bicen maths and tl maths. Bicen maths explain everything you need to know and covers the spec. And tl maths explains in details so I would recommend you watching both combined for more understanding. What I did aswell is to make notes throughout the videos so when revising later for exams I didnt have to look back to the videos again as everything was explained in my notes.
To practice, you can start with the questions in the textbook to build up your understanding and then do as much past paper as possible as there is a big jump between the question in the textbook and the pastpaper's ones. What I would recommend you is to go on the bicen maths folder where he created a exam questions by topic where you can practice the topic studying ( very useful !!).

I hope you will find this useful and good luck !!

Which exam board are you with?

The most universal resource is this: https://amsp.org.uk/students/studying-a-level-further-mathematics/resources/

Quick Reply