The Student Room Group

Dropping out

Nearly at the end of first year and I'm feeling like I want to drop out. Anyone else feel that way?
It’s very common.

Do you think you can finish the year?
Do you have any thoughts on what you would like to do instead?

Most universities will offer you the option to suspend or intermit your studies for a year instead of dropping out. I would ALWAYS recommend that students choose that option first, it gives you more flexibility to change your mind later on if your situation changes.
Original post by RUBY2015
Nearly at the end of first year and I'm feeling like I want to drop out. Anyone else feel that way?

Hi there,

I'm sorry to hear you're feeling this way. There will be plenty of students who have been in the same boat as you, so you are not alone.

I understand it can be hard, but don't rush to make a decision you might regret later. I would recommend reaching out for support first. If you feel comfortable, speak to your course leader. They might be able to put some support in place to help you with your studies. You could also get in touch with your university's student support services. Or even chat to other students on your course to see how they are feeling - you might find that talking things through will make you feel better, and you may be able to support each other.

If you do decide you no longer want to continue your course, there are plenty of options so don't worry. Whether that be changing course, changing university, getting an apprenticeship, or finding a job. Just make sure you do plenty of research first.

I hope this helps. Best of luck!
G
Original post by RUBY2015

Hi there,

I'm sorry that you feel this way. I also didn't enjoy my degree in my first year, it felt very un-personal, nobody knew me and I spent a lot more time at my part-time job than doing student things. However, I did enjoy the course content, which is why I stayed. I think that this is most important - do you enjoy the content?

I can reassure you that this gets better by the time it's your final year - but it also almost feels too late. Can I ask what you're studying?

All the best,
Jaz - Cardiff student rep
Original post by ruby2015

HI there,

Sorry to hear you are feeling this way. My best advice would be to talk to your academic advisor or personal tutor if you have one. You can set up a meeting with them and they will be able to talk through your options with you. They are good to talk to as they can see your grades and how well you are doing in each module.

If it is the modules that you are not enjoying, it's worth finding out what modules you will be studying next year as this could have an impact on whether you decide to drop out or not. It may be the case that you prefer the sound of next years modules and decide to stay, or you may not and this may make up your mind about dropping out if you are unsure.

I would also advise to talk to your friends and family about your decision as they know you best so will be able to help you and be there for you whatever you decide to do.

As others have said, you could look into deferring for a year or pausing your studies as this gives you the chance to go back if you regret your decision. I felt like this in first year but it does get better - I know this is easy for me to say but trust me it does.

Ultimately, don't rush into any decision and take your time to make the decision that is best for you. Your mental health is important so take your time.

I hope some of this helps,

Lucy -SHU student ambassador.
(edited 2 months ago)

Quick Reply