The Student Room Group

What's the best laptop for programming?

Hey all so right now iv got a Dell inspiron laptop which is about 10 years old but it's so slow so I need a new 1. But I don't have a lot of money. My budget is £500. So can I get a decent laptop which I can do programming on for that price or less?? Which ones?? What do I need??
Reply 1
Original post by cherlloydfan1
Hey all so right now iv got a Dell inspiron laptop which is about 10 years old but it's so slow so I need a new 1. But I don't have a lot of money. My budget is £500. So can I get a decent laptop which I can do programming on for that price or less?? Which ones?? What do I need??

https://www.currys.co.uk/products/huawei-matebook-d16-16-laptop-intel-core-i5-512-gb-ssd-grey-10259259.html

The 12450H is just about the best performing processor I can find in a sub-£500 laptop, coupled with a large and high res display for maximum screen real estate while still being in a slim and lightweight body coming in at 1.7kg. alternatively you could find a weaker laptop with 16GB of RAM, but from the options I've seen you'd be giving up a lot of processing power.
I bet your 10 year old Inspiron has a mechanical hard drive. That will be the reason it's slow. You could speed it up by installing an SSD hard drive for about £30. Although it probably has a 1366 screen resolution. In that case it's not worth spending money on your old laptop, as you can get some really nice used laptops for under £200.

How big is your old laptop? Do you think it's just the right size for your mobility needs? Or would you prefer something with a bigger screen? Or would you prefer something smaller and lighter and easier to carry around?

What's the nature of your programming? Will it just be student programming? Or will you be number crunching huge corporate databases or spreadsheets, stored locally on your laptop? Or something else?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending