The Student Room Group

How to stop contact with my close friend every day?

Hello I’ve been mentally struggling with a problem with my close friend. Me and my guy friend we know each other since 2020, somehow we ended up texting every day till now.. it’s 2024 guys. I knew he was in love with me at the beginning but I loved someone else he knew it. I always friendzoned him. Now i live in Asia for half year and was thinking our contact will become not as often as it was before. The time zone, new friends, new life situation makes me forget about my country and friends. Obviously im not initiating a contact with him. Would be great for me if it was like texting every every 3rd day or week. but not everyday! usually those messages are empty, everyday same question how was my day how am i and then he starts bragging about his day.. soo me and my family went to a trip and the hotel is amazing.. and things like that. If he wants this he better find a girlfriend but after 4 years of same sh** it’s draining. What would you do in my place? I plan to talk to him as soon as I return back home i dont want to do it through text because he wouldnt understand
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
Hello I’ve been mentally struggling with a problem with my close friend. Me and my guy friend we know each other since 2020, somehow we ended up texting every day till now.. it’s 2024 guys. I knew he was in love with me at the beginning but I loved someone else he knew it. I always friendzoned him. Now i live in Asia for half year and was thinking our contact will become not as often as it was before. The time zone, new friends, new life situation makes me forget about my country and friends. Obviously im not initiating a contact with him. Would be great for me if it was like texting every every 3rd day or week. but not everyday! usually those messages are empty, everyday same question how was my day how am i and then he starts bragging about his day.. soo me and my family went to a trip and the hotel is amazing.. and things like that. If he wants this he better find a girlfriend but after 4 years of same sh** it’s draining. What would you do in my place? I plan to talk to him as soon as I return back home i dont want to do it through text because he wouldnt understand

I'd say that you need a break talk when you get back then block him to give you a bit of piece
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous

It sounds like you have the long distance friend ick. Hes trying to make himself sound interesting by keeping up with a text conversation. Its not the same as in person. I hope he knows that him and you are not going anywhere and hes not being strung along. Even if you was in love with someone else, theres always going to be that ''what if it doesnt work out, ill be waiting.......''.
Its so hard to keep up with a text relationship. Perhaps mention saying that instead of the daily text because of the timezone getting texts at all hours, you would much prefer a weekly or fortnightly facetime instead? Then once/two weeks worth of news between you both will give you something to talk about.

Quick Reply