The Student Room Group

art and design : personal investigation

Hey,
i just have a few questions regarding personal investigation. i recently am told to start personal investigation, my teacher has also kind of briefly briefed me about the things required to do but i donot understand what kind of topic or starting point is required for this.
she told me to look into art movements i am interested in and then shortlist it down to a few so that we can go gallery visits to find national artists to interview.
the only problem is that im rather blank at what topic we need to do.

(im sorry if it's hard to understand...i tend to get nervous about these things T^T)
Original post by rip_outmytongue
Hey,
i just have a few questions regarding personal investigation. i recently am told to start personal investigation, my teacher has also kind of briefly briefed me about the things required to do but i donot understand what kind of topic or starting point is required for this.
she told me to look into art movements i am interested in and then shortlist it down to a few so that we can go gallery visits to find national artists to interview.
the only problem is that im rather blank at what topic we need to do.
(im sorry if it's hard to understand...i tend to get nervous about these things T^T)

In our school we got to chose any topic to do and not limited to art movements (eg I did nature, others did angles, landscapes, culture). just pick something you are interested in, good at drawing, able to develop and make a range of outcome and somthing you think you will still be interested in near the end of the topic (someone in our class lost interst and didnt have a very logical thoughout project and it didnt go very well)
so when looking at gallery visits it doesnt have to be about a art movement but what the composition of the art is about, this is what i ended up doing.

So I would just think about a topic you can think passionately about and develop ideas going off that, when i started i just wanted to look at nature then i saw how it evoved so i could have a deeper idea about what i really wanted to study and show through your art.
If you do look down art movements look up examples (eg contemporary, cubism, realism, renaissance) or if there is a artist you already like look at their work and see if it gives you any inspiration, then you already have a artist to loook at in your project

Sorry this is long and doesnt make sense but in sort I would just think about a topic you are intersted in and that can show your art off to its best, the gallery visits can come later. this is a great project because there arent any limits unlike the exam when you are given titles you have to pick from and look at.
honestly it isn't exactly that clear to me as to what is needed to be done in personal investigation.
it seems like coursework but not...? my teacher said it was a comparative study with a national/local artist and a foreign artist.
(that's why we planned gallery visits)
honestly it isn't exactly that clear to me as to what is needed to be done in personal investigation.
it seems like coursework but not...? my teacher said it was a comparative study with a national/local artist and a foreign artist.
(that's why we planned gallery visits)

what exam board is it?
Original post by solothechicken
what exam board is it?

A levels
A levels

the exam board for a-levels for example im doing AQA
this is what our school did for the project and it seemed to work well, i dont know what your school will do but this might help understand what is usually needed in art. For our personal investigation we had a list of things that needs including, we did ours in what we called "cycles" were we repeated it 3/4 times to get a strong amount of work to be handed in:

mind map and mood board - these are you inspiration and a starting you you can go off (including drawing from the mood board(secondary source photos)

inital ideas - these are little drawings you make of your first ideas of the direction you want to go in and these are based off you mood board and mindmap

observational drawing - using intial ideas draw what is infront of you and things you can see which relate to you project

artist research and contextual research - this is gallery visits and any artists you think link to your project and act as a begining of you proper ideas form (i often did 3 artists and 1/2 single A3 pages on contectual research) - analyse their works, how it links, how you are going to use it going forward

primary source photos - images you collected yourself based off the artists you have looked at and that link to your topic once you know what it is you want to look at

you can possibly do a page/two on physical or digital photo manipulation which can help get a better idea of what to do going forward (i only did this once in my whole project, so you dont really need to do it everytime)

more ideas from primary source photos which you develop - developing ideas should take up the largest amount of time it involves, explore different compositions, materials, techniques and any processes. and prepare practices for experiments and getting a understanding of what you are going to be doing for a outcome. - evaluate what worked well and what didnt

make a outcome - this is done after all your development and you make a final outcome for what you have looked at in your "cycle", this tend to be something out of book and a larger version of the idea you have been pracising and finessing for the last few weeks

we were then told to write 500 words on what we looked at, our inspiration and development of this stage of our project, what we liked/didn't like - this was quite useful as we could just copy them over into your final essys - - - THIS STAGE IS IF YOU HAVE TO HAVE A ESSAY ALONG SIDE

These steps were for our first one and it took us from Christmas to Easter, we then repeated the stages from 3 to 9 each time we did a cycle after this (going back to the mind map and mood board for ideas), i did 3 really indepth loops of this and then did a shorter one in the middle. also it isnt a rigid structure you can move things and add in new sections (eg a new artist you like, or gone to a new gallery that influenced you, or more primary source photos you collected and fit in better anf you want to try(i ended up doing this for my exam coursework))
TIP - this needs to keep flowing so when you change topic make sure you create a smooth link between the topics (eg i did this by making a vase with flowers but i wanted to start looking at birds so i created another vase but put feathers on it insead then carried on looking at feathers for a page then looked at birds), it prevents the project from jumping around and makes it look more like a long term project.

I'm sorry this is even longer i really dont know if this is going to help or not, if I hadnt sent off my own personal statement it might be easier to understand.
but it should give you a basic(ish) idea of what is usually asked and this covers all of AQA making points .

Quick Reply