The Student Room Group

can someone mark this macbeth essay

how does shakespeare present ideas of kingship in the play?

Shakespeare wrote Macbeth as a warning against transgression. He wrote the play shortly after the gunpowder plot, an attempt to assassinate king james and shakespear wanted to flatter king james so Macbeth was written in an effort to portray the ideas and importance of kingship and the natural order to a Jacobean audience. Shakespear uses characters such as Macbeth, Malcom, and Duncan to push these ideas in their nature as characters and kings.

Toward the start of the play, Macbeth is presented as a courageous and brave character. He is said to ‘unseam him from the knave to the chops’ and the captain refers to him as ‘brave Macbeth’ and says that he is worthy of that name. I believe that Shakespeare has started the play by portraying Macbeth’s character as being a brave warrior to emphasise his downfall after interfering with the natural order. In the Jacobean era people believed that everybody’s fate was decided upon by the status that they were born with so anyone trying to alter this would face dire consequences as Macbeth did.

Later on in the play, once Macbeth has killed king Duncan, other characters talk about the events of the night. Macduff talks about how there were earthquakes and the old man says that the kings horses began to eat each other and owls killed falcons. This unnatural consequence came as a result of Duncan’s killing because at the time the king was seen as gods appointed man on earth so to kill the king was on par with killing god. This further shows the consequences of transgression as Macbeth committed the gravest sin and as a result he was swallowed with guilt.

After killing Duncan Macbeth says ‘won’t all of Neptune’s great oceans not wash the blood from this hand”. This juxtaposes lady Macbeth’s attitude as she says ‘a little water clears us of this deed’ however she is later overcome by guilt saying that the king had so much blood in him and eventually driving herself to suicide. I believe Shakespeare has done this because although lady Macbeth didn’t kill the king herself she still conspired against him telling Macbeth to ‘look like the innocent flower but be the serpent under’t’ not only does this show Macbeth’s un-kingly characteristics as he is so easily persuaded by her but also has religious connotations, liking to the story of original sin in the bible. This further shows Shakespeare’s ideas about the king being gods appointed man but also shows r that Macbeth suffered a similar fate to Adam in the bible, having one unholy action ruin his entire life. This is not the only time that biblical connotations are used in the play however, just before Macbeth goes to see the witches again as they are talking one of them references blaspheming Jews, Turks, and tartars, all non Christian things which even further show the Christian ideas of the time.

Towards the end of the play, Shakespeare presents ideas of kingship through Malcom, the rightful king. Shakespeare gives Malcom kingly characteristics such as perceptiveness when he decides to cut down the trees in burnham wood in order to invade Macbeth’s castle. I think Shakespeare gives Malcom these characteristics in another attempt to flatter king James since these are all traits which he would’ve liked to see in a rightful king such as himself. Further more this shows the people of the time that the natural order should never be altered as it was in the play and that the rightful king being in rule was an extremely important idea at the time.

In conclusion, since Shakespeare wanted to write Macbeth as a warning against transgression, ideas about kingship were very import,ant to include into the play. Through the downfall of Macbeth as a transgressor and the characteristics of Malcom reflecting someone that the people at the time would have liked to be in charge, Shakespeare used many methods to push forward this idea of believing in and not altering the natural order in an attempt to avoid the consequences that Macbeth faced.
This is good, but you need to develop each paragraph a bit more and maybe break down the quotes? so you can write more?
Original post by ghanoot.n
how does shakespeare present ideas of kingship in the play?
Shakespeare wrote Macbeth as a warning against transgression. He wrote the play shortly after the gunpowder plot, an attempt to assassinate king james and shakespear wanted to flatter king james so Macbeth was written in an effort to portray the ideas and importance of kingship and the natural order to a Jacobean audience. Shakespear uses characters such as Macbeth, Malcom, and Duncan to push these ideas in their nature as characters and kings.
Toward the start of the play, Macbeth is presented as a courageous and brave character. He is said to ‘unseam him from the knave to the chops’ and the captain refers to him as ‘brave Macbeth’ and says that he is worthy of that name. I believe that Shakespeare has started the play by portraying Macbeth’s character as being a brave warrior to emphasise his downfall after interfering with the natural order. In the Jacobean era people believed that everybody’s fate was decided upon by the status that they were born with so anyone trying to alter this would face dire consequences as Macbeth did.
Later on in the play, once Macbeth has killed king Duncan, other characters talk about the events of the night. Macduff talks about how there were earthquakes and the old man says that the kings horses began to eat each other and owls killed falcons. This unnatural consequence came as a result of Duncan’s killing because at the time the king was seen as gods appointed man on earth so to kill the king was on par with killing god. This further shows the consequences of transgression as Macbeth committed the gravest sin and as a result he was swallowed with guilt.
After killing Duncan Macbeth says ‘won’t all of Neptune’s great oceans not wash the blood from this hand”. This juxtaposes lady Macbeth’s attitude as she says ‘a little water clears us of this deed’ however she is later overcome by guilt saying that the king had so much blood in him and eventually driving herself to suicide. I believe Shakespeare has done this because although lady Macbeth didn’t kill the king herself she still conspired against him telling Macbeth to ‘look like the innocent flower but be the serpent under’t’ not only does this show Macbeth’s un-kingly characteristics as he is so easily persuaded by her but also has religious connotations, liking to the story of original sin in the bible. This further shows Shakespeare’s ideas about the king being gods appointed man but also shows r that Macbeth suffered a similar fate to Adam in the bible, having one unholy action ruin his entire life. This is not the only time that biblical connotations are used in the play however, just before Macbeth goes to see the witches again as they are talking one of them references blaspheming Jews, Turks, and tartars, all non Christian things which even further show the Christian ideas of the time.
Towards the end of the play, Shakespeare presents ideas of kingship through Malcom, the rightful king. Shakespeare gives Malcom kingly characteristics such as perceptiveness when he decides to cut down the trees in burnham wood in order to invade Macbeth’s castle. I think Shakespeare gives Malcom these characteristics in another attempt to flatter king James since these are all traits which he would’ve liked to see in a rightful king such as himself. Further more this shows the people of the time that the natural order should never be altered as it was in the play and that the rightful king being in rule was an extremely important idea at the time.
In conclusion, since Shakespeare wanted to write Macbeth as a warning against transgression, ideas about kingship were very import,ant to include into the play. Through the downfall of Macbeth as a transgressor and the characteristics of Malcom reflecting someone that the people at the time would have liked to be in charge, Shakespeare used many methods to push forward this idea of believing in and not altering the natural order in an attempt to avoid the consequences that Macbeth faced.

This essay is around 25 marks, To achieve a higher level, consider providing a more nuanced analysis of the characters' qualities in relation to the ideals of kingship. Also, explore the contrasts between Macbeth's and Malcolm's approaches to power and leadership, and how these reflect Shakespeare's ideas about rightful kingship.
Reply 3
Original post by SalvationMATT
This essay is around 25 marks, To achieve a higher level, consider providing a more nuanced analysis of the characters' qualities in relation to the ideals of kingship. Also, explore the contrasts between Macbeth's and Malcolm's approaches to power and leadership, and how these reflect Shakespeare's ideas about rightful kingship.

25/30 or 25/34 ?
only 30, i didn't mark AO4
Reply 5
Original post by SalvationMATT
only 30, i didn't mark AO4

oh okay, thanks for the feedback.
Original post by ghanoot.n
25/30 or 25/34 ?

sorry as a a level student this is not 25 at all, its good but not well developed and context lacking i'd say 20. the other person is a gcse student
Reply 7
I agree, by reading this I can tell you are a very capable student and have a very good understanding of the play. However, your para structure is completely wrong. You need to do more analysis of your quotes, but tbh I think if u did that u would be reaching the level 6 bracket and getting around 28-30
Original post by xtaylorx
sorry as a a level student this is not 25 at all, its good but not well developed and context lacking i'd say 20. the other person is a gcse student

i stated around 25 marks, meaning that there's a range. 20 is too low as there are a few examples of thoughtful paragraphs. this would mean its in the 22-24/25 range. 20 is too low.
i would say, put this into gpt and put the markscheme as well if u have it, its pretty accurate on its marking
Reply 10
Original post by xtaylorx

could you elaborate?? what do you mean by not well developed and context lacking and how do i change that??
Reply 11
Original post by shreyaanshk
i would say, put this into gpt and put the markscheme as well if u have it, its pretty accurate on its marking

i have and it said it’s “in the range of 25-3” but a lot of people on here disagree
Reply 12
Original post by q466iss
I agree, by reading this I can tell you are a very capable student and have a very good understanding of the play. However, your para structure is completely wrong. You need to do more analysis of your quotes, but tbh I think if u did that u would be reaching the level 6 bracket and getting around 28-30

what kind of paragraph structure do you recommend?
Original post by q466iss

agreed.
You need to break your quotation down i suggest you look at examiners reports!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending