The Student Room Group

What is Sociology A-Level like?

I haven't really been given a solid answer to what the course is really about no matter how much I've tried to look into it ๐Ÿ˜‚ Are the topics boring? Would it link a lot to history? I really hate History (didn't take it for my gcse's) and I'm not sure if the course has a lot of historical links into it.
Is it a good idea to pick Sociology and Psychology together, or would they be to revision-heavy? I'm not really sure what else I would pick with them, so I'm still keeping options open. I am thinking Biology, but I'm still only going to do GCSE's next year and am not sure how much I like it yet.
If I was going to do Bio, Psychology and Sociology, how much revision load would that end up having, if anyone has an idea, or took that combo?
THANK YOU
(edited 1 month ago)
Hi,
I myself did biology, psychology and sociology during A-levels. I must say I loved studying sociology during A-levels, yes it was content heavy, but the topics were really interesting, and studying sociology Alevels really helped me with psychology, for example the essay structure was the same across both subjects. Also sociology Alevels has helped me a lot with Uni, I am using the same writing structure that I used to use in my essay during sociology Alevels at Uni. :smile:
Original post by lostwooloo
I haven't really been given a solid answer to what the course is really about no matter how much I've tried to look into it ๐Ÿ˜‚ Are the topics boring? Would it link a lot to history? I really hate History (didn't take it for my gcse's) and I'm not sure if the course has a lot of historical links into it.
Is it a good idea to pick Sociology and Psychology together, or would they be to revision-heavy? I'm not really sure what else I would pick with them, so I'm still keeping options open. I am thinking Biology, but I'm still only going to do GCSE's next year and am not sure how much I like it yet.
If I was going to do Bio, Psychology and Sociology, how much revision load would that end up having, if anyone has an idea, or took that combo?
THANK YOU

I did sociology at both GCSE and A-level and i loved it.
It wasnt really very history ish (if you get me) so if you arent a fan of history then you should be ok with socioloy.
I know of quite a few people at my old 6th form who did both sociology and psychology. They got on just fine.
When I did Sociology at A-level it really opened my eyes to social behaviours, norms and values. There's a lot of great theory and discourse in Sociology, and I think it was my favourite course I took in college because it allowed me to understand society and human behaviour in a whole new way I hadn't even thought about before.
THANK YOU

It's just content heavy, if you start making flashcards early on, you'll be fine
THANK YOU

Also I do psychology and sociology together and sometimes they get confusing and other times they work great, for example in one particular sociology topic, you can use psychology theories
Original post by yasiro0001
It's just content heavy, if you start making flashcards early on, you'll be fine

this is for sociology*

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending