The Student Room Group

How do 10 GSCEs with one bad grade compare to 9 GSCEs without?

iGCSE Edexcel year 10 here. I'm seriously considering dropping Art. I REALLY struggle with the deadlines, already missing 7 pieces that were meant to be turned in last week. I'm worried I'll get a really low grade like a 1 or a 2. This is likely very much my fault, but I genuinely don't know what to do about it.

If I choose to drop it, how much will having that one less subject impact me academically? I'm predicted good grades in other subjects, and I think i may be able to get better overall grades with that extra time to revise, especially without the fear of the looming deadlines.

JIC, I take English, Triple Sci, Math, CS, Drama, Business, Art, and Spanish (native speaker). Apologies if I misunderstand anything or the purpose of the forum. I'm not sure where else to ask this online.
Original post by dogsuper
iGCSE Edexcel year 10 here. I'm seriously considering dropping Art. I REALLY struggle with the deadlines, already missing 7 pieces that were meant to be turned in last week. I'm worried I'll get a really low grade like a 1 or a 2. This is likely very much my fault, but I genuinely don't know what to do about it.
If I choose to drop it, how much will having that one less subject impact me academically? I'm predicted good grades in other subjects, and I think i may be able to get better overall grades with that extra time to revise, especially without the fear of the looming deadlines.
JIC, I take English, Triple Sci, Math, CS, Drama, Business, Art, and Spanish (native speaker). Apologies if I misunderstand anything or the purpose of the forum. I'm not sure where else to ask this online.

Hi!
It sounds like you’re struggling to keep on top of coursework in art. Maybe it would be worth dropping it so you can focus on your other subjects and make sure catch up on art doesn’t affect those.

What a levels/future plans do you have in mind? Consider if art is necessary for those.
Reply 2
Original post by dogsuper

As someone who also struggled with GCSE art, drop art. I was supposed to take the exam a year early, but I ended up struggling severely with my health during secondary school and my school gave me the option to re-do the final year in Year 11. At the beginning of the year, they messed up my timetable, and instead of switching AS level psychology to GCSE art, I was stuck doing psychology. Out of the two, neither were good options and looking back, I should have dropped psychology as well (I got a U in the end but I didn't sit the second exam). If you can't meet the deadlines for art, don't continue with it. It's better to focus on the subjects you can achieve good grades in. Unless you need art for IB or A levels, I wouldn't bother with it. It will likely consume a lot of your time that you could be spending revising for more subjects. Its better to do well in a few than average in many. Whether you do 9 or 10 GCSEs, it won't have an impact on your university applications. At most, if you apply to a subject such as medicine, you may get asked for 7 GCSE grades at a high level (e.g. 7 GCSEs at grades 7-9), but for most other subjects, there is not a required amount of GCSEs, just certain grades in certain subjects.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending