The Student Room Group

How to go about approaching UCAT and when to apply for university?

I'm currently sitting my 5 Highers (Maths, English, Biology, Chemistry, Computing Science) with predicted 5 A's, so I shouldn't have an issue with Higher requirements in universities. For upcoming S6 I have chosen AH Chemistry + Biology + Computing Science, and crashing H Physics (which I may drop).
My intended career pathway is Medicine (however I am still undecided) and I am aware that I require personal statements and I must undertake the UCAT at some point and maybe other things.. but when should I do those things? Do I need to take the UCAT this year or next year (after S6)? When should I look into UCAS and university applications?
I'm hoping that I don't need to do those things during this summer/autumn because in June I'll be undergoing surgery which will likely make me miss school in August & September due to a long period of recovery; hence UCAT will be difficult to undertake/schedule.
Reply 1
You would take the UCAT this summer for entry to medicine in 2025, I think registration for the exam is starting in the next week or so. Also, I believe the personal statement is being taken away this year, but I'm not sure what the replacement is- so check UCAS. You can start looking at which unis you want to apply to now, to see what the UCAT/ grade requirements are but you won't actually apply until around October time- the deadline is the 16th of October. However, the UCAT runs from 8 July and 26 September so I'm not sure how it will work with your surgery. Once you've applied, you should hopefully receive some interviews in around November- March, which will help decide if you are offered a place. Hope that helps!

Quick Reply