The Student Room Group

Really struggling to lose weight

Hello all, I'm 5'8 (174cm) and weigh 197lbs now and it keeps going up, but I don't know why. Obviously I know the reasons why it would keep climbing up, but in practice it doesn't make sense.

I walk 30+ mins to work and uni about 3-4 times a week and I aim to go to the gym twice a week (admittedly slacking a bit there) to do strength training.

I am a vegetarian and am trying to eat less processed junk. I've not really succeeded re: processed junk but I count my calories and always eat less than 2000 per day which means I should maintain if not lose weight.

Is there something I'm not realising? This is really getting to my self esteem because other people have pointed out my weight recently. Thanks in advance.
Original post by chaosdancer
Hello all, I'm 5'8 (174cm) and weigh 197lbs now and it keeps going up, but I don't know why. Obviously I know the reasons why it would keep climbing up, but in practice it doesn't make sense.
I walk 30+ mins to work and uni about 3-4 times a week and I aim to go to the gym twice a week (admittedly slacking a bit there) to do strength training.
I am a vegetarian and am trying to eat less processed junk. I've not really succeeded re: processed junk but I count my calories and always eat less than 2000 per day which means I should maintain if not lose weight.
Is there something I'm not realising? This is really getting to my self esteem because other people have pointed out my weight recently. Thanks in advance.

Are you gaining weight or gaining fat? As is often said 'muscle weighs more than fat' so it is likely that all the extra exercise you are doing is building muscle! Is toning up/building muscle a goal of yours? If not, I would recommend intermittent fasting as it has been shown to be the best 'diet'. This would involve skipping a few consecutive meals or even fully fasting for a day. Reducing processed food is great and I've heard a more liquid diet is also good as you end up eating more veg and less carbs (e.g. smoothies for breakfast or soups for lunch). Please don't feel pressured by other people into reducing weight as it can be really damaging to your mental and physical health. HIIT is also supposed to be good at burning fat. Hope this has helped in some way, and gaining weight is probably gaining muscle mass! Stay safe :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by ElectricBlue13
Are you gaining weight or gaining fat? As is often said 'muscle weighs more than fat' so it is likely that all the extra exercise you are doing is building muscle! Is toning up/building muscle a goal of yours? If not, I would recommend intermittent fasting as it has been shown to be the best 'diet'. This would involve skipping a few consecutive meals or even fully fasting for a day. Reducing processed food is great and I've heard a more liquid diet is also good as you end up eating more veg and less carbs (e.g. smoothies for breakfast or soups for lunch). Please don't feel pressured by other people into reducing weight as it can be really damaging to your mental and physical health. HIIT is also supposed to be good at burning fat. Hope this has helped in some way, and gaining weight is probably gaining muscle mass! Stay safe :smile:

Thanks for your response. I think it's a mix of muscle and fat as I've got a worse double chin now than I've ever had! I feel like it's mostly sitting in my face whereas when I was younger it was more evenly dispersed ☹️

I've been doing IF recently (16:8 and 18:6 depending on how I am feeling) but feel that I have no self control and end up eating loads during my eating window. Especially as I gain the "ugh, I'll just restart tomorrow" mentality

Quick Reply

Latest