The Student Room Group

A level Choices - Not sure...

I apologize for the long wordy format - there's a tldr at the bottom

Hello, I'm currently doing my gcses. I've decided that i want to go into architecture or something design based like automotive design- automotive engineering. I currently take (predicteds too): -

Art(7), Business (9), combined sci(9,9), English(8,8), Maths(9), DT(9), R.E(9), Spanish(7), FutherM(7)

Anyways, I chose DT, Maths, Econ/Business, R.E/Psychology for my A level options depending on the 6th form i end up going.
Now looking back, i feel as though they aren't the best options specifically for architecture. I enjoyed art but wouldn't do it again and physics just doesn't interest me although its needed for anything engineering based.

I'm hoping to get into somewhere like UCL/ Cambridge/ Bath - leaning more towards Cambridge or Bath. Looking at their pref A Levels I've only got Maths for Cambridge and econ, r.e/psy, and maths for UCL.

I see loads of people saying that Art + Physics is non negotiable. Id be willing to take physics but not art - art was fun but longgg plus Im significantly better at DT. If i take physics, id swap with r.e/psy and swap econ for business and do 4 alevels if i can. Also my current school does AS levels so idk if that means/adds anything.
Im just not sure cause i feel like id be better suited for the more engineering side of architecture but yeah im not sure currently.

I mean like abt the portfolio, i would probably be able to dish out something stuff in y12, i was planning to keep it mainly cad related not the biggest fan of drawing but i can draw, i do have some good sketches/paintings/drawings and stuff from Art gcses i can also put in to demonstrate penship or whatever. But my project was mainly based around 3d models, digital art and etc - which is why I'm sorta leaning towards the more engineering side of things.
TL:biggrin:R : wanna take DT, Maths, Econ, R.E for architecture, should i reconsider? Willing to maybe drop r.e for physics (if it makes me a stronger candidate) but kinda against taking art

Sorry for the long essay but any advice or comments would be extremely helpful
Reply 1
You don't need art A-level to do architecture - I know someone who got into Cambridge without art, but had a strong portfolio but it's highly encouraged to use more recent pieces, so try not to use so many things from GCSE. Maybe go to art club or sign up for external art exhibitions/courses etc. to make your personal statement and portfolio strong.
As for physics, it's necessary for engineering, but it is quite difficult and will be even worse if you don't enjoy it. Many classmates of mine dropped out mostly because it was difficult AND they didn't enjoy it, but trust me almost everyone finds it difficult initially anyway. It just requires a LOT of practice.
Bath doesn't even need a portfolio, but their course is very engineering focussed so they're really big on the maths/physics side of architecture. Cambridge is in the middle, whilst UCL is very art based.
Good luck.
Original post by zxinabsh
You don't need art A-level to do architecture - I know someone who got into Cambridge without art, but had a strong portfolio but it's highly encouraged to use more recent pieces, so try not to use so many things from GCSE. Maybe go to art club or sign up for external art exhibitions/courses etc. to make your personal statement and portfolio strong.
As for physics, it's necessary for engineering, but it is quite difficult and will be even worse if you don't enjoy it. Many classmates of mine dropped out mostly because it was difficult AND they didn't enjoy it, but trust me almost everyone finds it difficult initially anyway. It just requires a LOT of practice.
Bath doesn't even need a portfolio, but their course is very engineering focussed so they're really big on the maths/physics side of architecture. Cambridge is in the middle, whilst UCL is very art based.
Good luck.

hey, thank you for responding. i understand what taking physics means. I'll be sure to use recent pieces. I was thinking about taking art for AS levels then dropping it but i'm not sure how that would play out.
Ill probably take physics for the first half term and then i believe that my school offers a 2 week window to drop or change a subject. So ill probably end up doing that.
Hi there,

In general maths/physics are highly preferred and sometimes required from universities for architecture. This does not mean you have to do both but they are very useful for later on as you'll be studying a lot of structural and mechanical maths during your degree. I recommend doing at least one of them.

Art isnt necessarily required but is also preferred from some universities including bath. It also doesn't necessarily have to be pure/fine art - It would be a variation of an art subject which could show off your creative side while you may enjoy more than just the pure art subject. If you decide not to do any art at all then I recommend showing a passion for art during your application through either portfolio if its asked for or in your personal statement if not.

Here is a link for the architecture degree at bath which includes the entry requirements:
https://www.bath.ac.uk/courses/undergraduate-2024/architecture/bsc-architecture-including-placements/

Hope this helps,

Sophie (uni of Bath)

Original post by University of Bath
Hi there,
In general maths/physics are highly preferred and sometimes required from universities for architecture. This does not mean you have to do both but they are very useful for later on as you'll be studying a lot of structural and mechanical maths during your degree. I recommend doing at least one of them.
Art isnt necessarily required but is also preferred from some universities including bath. It also doesn't necessarily have to be pure/fine art - It would be a variation of an art subject which could show off your creative side while you may enjoy more than just the pure art subject. If you decide not to do any art at all then I recommend showing a passion for art during your application through either portfolio if its asked for or in your personal statement if not.
Here is a link for the architecture degree at bath which includes the entry requirements:
https://www.bath.ac.uk/courses/undergraduate-2024/architecture/bsc-architecture-including-placements/
Hope this helps,

Sophie (uni of Bath)

hiya, tysm for responding. I'm rather relieved that the portfolio doesn't need to be pure/fine art, it was the thing that put me off the most especially after seeing some exemplars on youtube lol. The thing about physics is understandable, ill do a trial of it and see how it goes next year as i explained in my other comment and hope i like it. your response means alot thank you!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending