The Student Room Group

Access to HE science topics

Hi, I’m starting an access to HE science course this september and I definitely think I need to re up my science knowledge (last time I did science was during GCSEs) . What topics are in the Access to He science course that I could start revising now?
Original post by evepsyche
Hi, I’m starting an access to HE science course this september and I definitely think I need to re up my science knowledge (last time I did science was during GCSEs) . What topics are in the Access to He science course that I could start revising now?

Generally speaking, probably GCSE science. I wouldn't hold my breadth when it comes to GCSE Maths though - there's some higher tier stuff, but it's mostly not that challenging.

The topics that you would cover would be outlined in the modules/course content section of your course page. You can sometimes find this on the webpage of your Access course e.g.
https://www.halesowen.ac.uk/study/adult-and-part-time/access-to-he-diploma-science-2/

I don't know where you are going to study specifically, so I can't really say.

What I would recommend getting to help with your revision is to get A Level revision books in science subjects. As I don't know what modules you are doing, you would need to check whether to get books for all 3 sciences or would only 2 be enough. As the material would depend on the teacher teaching it, it doesn't necessarily follow very well with any particular A Level exam board. I would grab any A Level revision guide in the appropriate sciences under any exam board, since you should cover all the necessary material in any one of them (there are 3 to choose from).
Original post by evepsyche

@evepsyche
Hi,

I've taught on Access to HE programs for the last 10 years. It depends what modules are included in your Science pathway, some have an option where you can choose between physics or chemistry depending on what you wanted to do at Uni. I would email the centre and ask them what modules / unit's they are doing. There aren't really any surprises, I don't teach that pathway, but I know most biology modules start with the cell

Marc
Arden University Student Ambassador

Quick Reply