The Student Room Group

Mac vs Windows for Accounting?

I'm studying accounting and finance and I am looking to buy a new laptop, preferably a Macbook which is something I am beginning to lean towards. I like everything about it, but I heard that there are compatibility issues with software and excel may be a bit funny with Macbooks. I have been a Windows user for as long as I remember and I want to switch to Mac but these apparent reasons are seeming to put me off. Advise please! :smile:
Original post by Maevey
I'm studying accounting and finance and I am looking to buy a new laptop, preferably a Macbook which is something I am beginning to lean towards. I like everything about it, but I heard that there are compatibility issues with software and excel may be a bit funny with Macbooks. I have been a Windows user for as long as I remember and I want to switch to Mac but these apparent reasons are seeming to put me off. Advise please! :smile:

In the grand scheme of things in the context of the degree, it doesn't really matter.

The typical software that you would be using your laptop for include:

Word

Excel

PowerPoint

Some web browser

and very likely a statistical software that you get with if you purchase a textbook on stats, but the uni provides this on their computers anyway

You're not exactly operating a very demanding server, producing very high resolution videos or photos, or writing loads of very complicated and draining codes, A standard laptop is generally OK - something as cheap as £300 is more than adequate.

I have used both the Excel in Macbooks and Windows, and I can vouch that the one on Windows is better by miles (couldn't wait to get off the one on Macbooks). However, whatever system or file your university uses (chances are it's Windows), you should be able to used on your Macbook.

I am nevertheless still a Windows person myself. There is only one type of product that I would ever get from Apple, and it's not a Macbook.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending