The Student Room Group

Changing courses

Hi there , so I’m currently on the course I applied for , I did a foundation year, had to retake one module but passed everything starting in January on my current course. However recently I’ve grown an interest in wanting to be a nurse. I still have the term September to December before finishing my first year of my current course. I was just wondering if the possibility to swap from my current course , which Is an animal course to a nursing course could be an option and if so would I have to repay anything for the first year of my current course before starting a nursing course if I was able to swap? I’m not currently set on the idea need some more time to give it some thought but any answers would be helpful! :smile:
Original post by M4ddy_
Hi there , so I’m currently on the course I applied for , I did a foundation year, had to retake one module but passed everything starting in January on my current course. However recently I’ve grown an interest in wanting to be a nurse. I still have the term September to December before finishing my first year of my current course. I was just wondering if the possibility to swap from my current course , which Is an animal course to a nursing course could be an option and if so would I have to repay anything for the first year of my current course before starting a nursing course if I was able to swap? I’m not currently set on the idea need some more time to give it some thought but any answers would be helpful! :smile:

If you leave your course early, then you might be required to repay some of your maintenance loan back immediately. For example, if you leave your course four weeks through a 10-week term, you would need to pay back 6 weeks plus the amount that covers holidays. If you left at the end of the year, then you wouldn't need to pay back anything immediately and the maintenance and tuition fee loans will be added to your total and would be repayable as per the plan conditions (ie from the April after you graduate once you start earning above the salary threshold).

SFE classes nursing as an exception course so your previous study would be disregarded, and you would be able to apply for both loans for the length of your course.
Speak to ur uni about it! If you're on a foundation year I don't see why you wouldn't be able to switch to nursing through clearing or something. I imagine you'd just have to pay for the first year the same way you would any other student loan but don't take my word for it.

Just keep in mind that nursing requires you to do an interview, pass a DBS check and pass a health screening before you start, it also has a different funding route to other courses (NHS bursary, which pays for your tuition but means you'll have to work for the NHS for 2 years). Nursing can also be done as a fast track 2 year course after your original degree in many unis, because of the different funding route you can take, so you could do it after you have your degree if you really wanted to.

And please do your research into nursing beforehand, it is not a course I would recommend to everybody. You need to know what you're getting yourself into. It might be worth working as a healthcare support worker or in a care home before you start so you can get a feel for some of the responsibilities nurses have.
(edited 2 months ago)
Original post by WoahWoah123
Just keep in mind that nursing requires you to do an interview, pass a DBS check and pass a health screening before you start, it also has a different funding route to other courses (NHS bursary, which pays for your tuition but means you'll have to work for the NHS for 2 years).

The NHS Bursary option I presume you are referring to applies in Wales only. In England, the NHS Learning Support Fund is available to students who are eligible for student finance and it operates very differently and doesn't have a work commitment.
Original post by normaw
The NHS Bursary option I presume you are referring to applies in Wales only. In England, the NHS Learning Support Fund is available to students who are eligible for student finance and it operates very differently and doesn't have a work commitment.

ahh right sorry about that! i shouldnt have assumed it was the same in england

Quick Reply