The Student Room Group
Students outside, University of Hertfordshire
University of Hertfordshire
Hatfield
Visit website

Uno bus to Hertfordshire uni from london

I don’t understand how the payment system works, would students have to buy daily-weekly-monthly bus tickets often or is there some special discount? I’m thinking of applying but there’s no way I’m paying £17 a day on the railway
Original post by Anonymous
I don’t understand how the payment system works, would students have to buy daily-weekly-monthly bus tickets often or is there some special discount? I’m thinking of applying but there’s no way I’m paying £17 a day on the railway

unfortunately herts isn't under the tlf system so national rail / bus is your best bet and it is known for being expensive unfortunately but i think a yearly ticket will be ok? you can get a student discout card on London Northwestern Railway. using traveline might help.

UK Digital Railcards for £30 | Buy Online with Trainline (thetrainline.com)
Students outside, University of Hertfordshire
University of Hertfordshire
Hatfield
Visit website
Original post by nul_student1
unfortunately herts isn't under the tlf system so national rail / bus is your best bet and it is known for being expensive unfortunately but i think a yearly ticket will be ok? you can get a student discout card on London Northwestern Railway. using traveline might help.
UK Digital Railcards for £30 | Buy Online with Trainline (thetrainline.com)

To the best of my knowledge this still stands- students, provided they bank with certain caveats attached while studying, can obtain a free rail (16-25 Young Persons one valid for three-four years ?) card from Santander.
Regarding commuting to UH by bus from London, you may have heard of the Government sponsored scheme that has been extended to December 2024 ( possibly longer) of the £2 single bus fare applicable in England outside London .
As our friend has said, unlike in the former London Transport (country area) days that once extended to Hitchin, Herts. is not under the TfL umbrella and a different fare structure applies.
This is due mainly to deregulation of the bus industry in 1985 where you now have a two-tier service : those run as stand alone commercially by the bus companies themselves, the remainder not considered commercially viable but socially useful or needed, were financially assisted in various ways by local and county authorities. Fine, except that funding over the last ten years has all but dried up, resulting in massive cuts to those services.
The exception is London where because of its size and complexity, it was decided to leave it be with all the services under the control of one body, TfL.
That, plus much more financial underwriting, is why the London bus services are so relatively plentiful. You lucky people !
Small wonder the likes of Manchester and Liverpool are considering going back to that system,
If commuting from London the UNO 614 serves Barnet, Edgware and Queensbury, the 644 the same except it skips Barnet going via Borehamwood.. The UNO 610 is extended to Cockfosters Mon-Fri.As far as I`m aware the £2 fare applies on all these three services into/out of the TfL boundary zone.
Oddly enough TfL fares and Oysters can still be used on bus routes 298 (Bounds Green- Potters Bar) and 313 (Chingford Mount- Potters Bar) which terminate at Potters Bar station, mainly because these have most of the route in London and are still TfL worked. Without checking I cannot be certain, but I think this also applies to the TfL107 ( Edgware- Borehamwood) and 292 (Colindale- Borehamwood).
Hope this helps,
Comments welcome.
(edited 1 month ago)
Original post by Anonymous
You have to buy tickets according to your suitability. A discount apply to some route, you have to show the driver your student ID card. Also uno bus runs into some part of London and you can connect with other buses according to your destination. Google map is your best bet! Turn off the train suggestion and it shows buses going your route. You save money but longer travel time.
Uno drivers are quite punctilous regarding showing of UH student passes when boarding the bus for a student discount ticket, so it saves valuable time to have it ready when boarding. Also, most stops in Hertfordshire are request so put your hand up in good time ( it does say so on the bottom of the bus stop flags if you look).
There are plenty of ticket options available in addition to the government sponsored £2 single fare, which as said is extended to Dec '24 possibly longer.
Hertfordshire County Council have their own site which is worth a look at:
https://www.intalink.org.uk
in addition to the bus companies' own sites.
Another site worth a look for timetables and realtime tracking is
https://bustimes.org
(edited 1 week ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending