Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Mine get really angry and upset when I get a rejection through the post and send me off to do 'work', which doesn't help. Anyone got this problem?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Seamen Staines)
    Mine get really angry and upset when I get a rejection through the post and send me off to do 'work', which doesn't help. Anyone got this problem?
    Yup! My mum is still a bit annoyed with my rejection. I got over it now but my mum still hasn't......

ReputationRep:
    heehee my mom doesnt know about my sheffield rejection yet :rolleyes: not planning on telling her either....

ReputationRep:
    That's nasty. Why are they angry?

ReputationRep:
    Mine were supportive. I was sad .

ReputationRep:
    My mum actually seemed quite amused when I was rejected from oxford. She sang "she is despised and rejected...of oxford" a la Handel's Messiah.

ReputationRep:
    Thankfully I haven't had to go through this, but both my parents said when I applied, that I had done my best and thats all I can do, so no matter what happens it doesn't matter. They wouldn't be bothered, but I would be!

ReputationRep:
    I never got any rejections, I'm sure my parents would have been sad for me if I'd have got rejected from somewhere I really wanted to go but I doubt they'd ever get angry with me.

ReputationRep:
    wow, thats mean, my parents never said anything other than "well it doesnt really matter does it lots of other unis".

ReputationRep:
    My mum's really piss taking, she'll get mad at me if I don't apply to Cambridge, and she'll get mad at me if I don't get in. There's only one choice. Sadly, I got rejected. She just doesn't understand :confused: . She's never happy with me, I can't wait till I get outta this house! :mad:

ReputationRep:
    Haven't had a rejection yet, but I refuse to tell my Mother when I have an offer as she starts getting a little too excited.
    If I was rejected she would say that it's all the more incentive to work hard now and prove them wrong.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MRLX69)
    My mum's really piss taking, she'll get mad at me if I don't apply to Cambridge, and she'll get mad at me if I don't get in. There's only one choice. Sadly, I got rejected. She just doesn't understand :confused: . She's never happy with me, I can't wait till I get outta this house! :mad:
    really? that sounds mean. what uni are you going to then?

ReputationRep:
    Well, when I got rejected from Oxford, my parents got enormous thrills from calling me 'Reject Girl' for a few weeks... which turned into 'Oxford Reject' after a while. Comments like 'Well, Oxford don't want you do you are clearly worthless,' come up fairly frequently. It's all tongue in cheek though... we don't do sincere.

When I was rejected from Durham my dad said, 'Well, that's what you get for applying to do English at top unis,' and my mum seemed to take it as a personal affront... 'How can they not want my Rooey?'

ReputationRep:
    My parents shrug... I think my dad forgot I applied to Oxford..

They don't put much emphasis on education anymore

ReputationRep:
    When i got a few rejections they werent really bothered and didnt comment on it, as they dont really know where i wanted to go the most or anything.

ReputationRep:
    I've got 4 acceptances so far and every time i told my parents they were all simley and congratulatory, but then didn't make a bid deal out of it. Cos they know I really want to go to LSE or UCL and those are the two i'm still waiting for! so maybe after recieving decisions from them two will there be more of a fuss, hahaha, who knows.

ReputationRep:
    That's a bit harsh! They "send you off to do work?" Tell them to get lost or at least show some sympathy! :p:

My parents don't get excited about offers, and they will be secretly thrilled if I get rejected from Durham because "it's too far away."

ReputationRep:
    When i got rejected from Oxford my parents were relieved. The whole ordeal of my school practically forcing me to apply in the first place, followed by the horrendous ordeals I had during my interviews and choral auditions made me really resent having to apply to universities. If I'd have got in I would have gone because I would have felt I should do and ended up dropping out, exactly like the guy at my school who did.

ReputationRep:
    When I got rejected by Oxford my parents were supportive and they reminded me that it is only an other university. I didnt really care though because I didnt want to go to Oxford anyway, I was only applying there just to see if i could get in.

ReputationRep:
    I have not yet told my mum about my latest rejection, cos she'll get angry - not with me, but with the universities. She always has a cause - she just wrote an email to my headteacher (god knows how she got his email) complaining about my teachers. I ask you.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.