This discussion is closed.
nicki04
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
No, my mum and dad are both really supportive. They trust me to do my best and my mum is a firm believer in everything happens for a reason.
Chardonnay
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
That's so harsh! I got 1 rejection, and my parents took me out for a meal and cinema to cheer me up (I wasn't even upset - didn't really wanna go there anyway! )
SsEe
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
My parents... well my mum (dad doesn't really care) got so excited when I got into Oxford. I think it's because of the crap I've had from my teachers, with them not letting me take exams early to get them out of the way and not letting me do any extra stuff, that she's happy. Sort of a "that'll show them" attitude. I agree with her.

She knew which unis I really wanted to go to and I think had I not got offers she'd have just said "ah well. c'est la vie" or something. She wouldn't be angry or butcher me or anything .

Asking you to work for getting a rejection is a bit over the top isn't it. The fact that you even applied to top unis (and did get offers from some of them) is brilliant. Your parents should be proud dammit! :p:
visesh
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
It is a LOT worse when your parents seem a LOT more enthusiastic about a particulal offer than you. :rolleyes:
exmoorkatie
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
lol my mum was very angry AT durham, but not me. She didnt care about Oxford, becuase neither did i, but she thinks durham smells!
randdom
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Last year my parents were really supportive when I got my rejections especially the one I got for a medical course. They were lovely about it. Very supportive throughout the entire process and still now I am at uni
saturn
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
last february i got rejected by Manchester and told my mum when she asked what the letter was and she just shrugged and said oh well if you don't get in you don't get in kinda attitude
Following later that week we got into an argument (probably TV) and she mentioned all the bad stuff about me (like she always does when shes mad) she said 'ure pathetic, can't get a job, can't even get in university, your a ****ing loser' yeah she swears when shes mad :cool:
Khalsa1846
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
being of indian origin (parents originally from india)...i get the mixed reactions....
the 'indian' reaction = u should have worked harder (true in one case), write them a letter explaining this and the other, persistence is the key (it shows enthusiasm etc...)
'british' reaction = dont worry son, its their loss and we will get through this. You just go to any university and come out with a first/good results and nobody will turn you down. OR tell me about how you feel (Dad...he's as i expect more sympathetic...prolly coz he is practically 'british' as he has been educated and brought up here and knows how it works while my mum is from india and educated their).

best of both worlds here, though my mum does give me a lot more stick and when angry...she will like another member here has stated call me useless and thick (though in the heat of the moment!). My nottingham rejection (for law llb) practically winded me (though expected still hurt badly as i wanted it more than even Oxford in a way) and mum was very supportive and listened to me.

I think that all one can do is prove everyone wrong by working VERY hard.

Mandeep
trev
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I didn't have any rejections. If I have any, I don't think my parents would mind.
LoopyLass
Report 14 years ago
ive not had a rejection (yet) but to be honest my parents dont really seem bothered if i get in or not i told my dad yesterday that i applied to uni an he just said 'oh right' and asked what i wanted to do (i dont think he realises im moving in sept, oh well ). and when ive had offers my mum just asks where its from and thats it i dont think she even knows what ive applied for... and when i mention anything about moving she just comes up with something to the effect of 'yeah, thats if you stick it' grrr

anyone else have parents that dont seem to care? :confused:
trev
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
My parents were happy when I get an offer. They say congrats and all those kinds of stuff.
Noel
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
My dad doesn't really care, and only get excited about the Cambridge one, I think because he could go round saying it (wrong I no), my mum screams and gets well excited though.
undiscovered
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
When I got my first offer, from Sheffield, I was soo excited (hehe), but my mum just said "What do you want to go all the way up there for?!"

I don't want to go there now..
sam19
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
When I got my cambridge offer, my mum cried. My dad just shook my hand and said "well done." My dad never shows emotion!
amo1
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
when i got my oxford rejection my folks were on holiday and only my gf was round... which wasnt great, she was more upset than i was
gringalet
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I can't understand parents who are like that. My mum, when I got rejected from Cambridge, went through a lot of reactions – let's burn down the college; it's the school's fault for making you feel like you could apply, especially when only one Oxbridge applicant got a place; it was obviously meant to be; London's better! – but she would never have had a go at me. She was happy for me when I got my KCL offer, I think basically because she feels like "it's been going on forever", lol.

I haven't actually told my father yet, hehe (he lives abroad, in case you're confused!)
Aj2003
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Ummm, whether it be an offer or rejection i recieve, my dad always says "go and do some work" lol.

I think my mum and dad were more relieved when i recieved my offer from Birmingham as they could see i was getting really down after recieving 4 consecutive rejections!
Eki_86
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I'm pretty shocked at how harsh some parents are! lol. I always thought my parents were quite strict but they would NEVER NEVER yell or even get remotely angry at me for getting a rejection. In fact..i got four rejections lol and after each one they were really nice about it (when i was rejected from warwick my mom went shopping and bought me lots of my fav things to make me happy!) and the only thing they got angry at me for was for getting upset about my rejections! They make a point of now ****ging off every uni that rejected me lol.
Richy Rich$$
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I only got 1 rejection but my parents didnt yell at me or anything. Its bad enough to get the rejection let alone hassle from ure parents
Jump
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
When I got rejected by bristol my parents were quite supportive and pointed out that at least I had some offers under my belt. They didn't bother with the whole you should of worked harder thing because it's too late now and I don't really need them telling me what I need to do.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Why wouldn't you turn to teachers if you were being bullied?

They might tell my parents (2)
3.77%
They might tell the bully (5)
9.43%
I don't think they'd understand (10)
18.87%
It might lead to more bullying (19)
35.85%
There's nothing they could do (17)
32.08%

Watched Threads