This discussion is closed.
sleepyeba
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
My parents are indifferent whether I get rejected or not. If I get in, its "Oh, that's nice", if not "Oh, okay". I suppose I am rather lucky, although it's annoying when I get offers into unis and I'm ecstatic, and they just smile and carry on reading.
topdude
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
when i got rejected by LSE, my mum told me its because i drink and go out till late at night!!! trying 2 explain that every1 drinks and goes out at night, LSE would probably expect me to drink and go out late at night and then LSE wouldn't actually know that i drink and go out at night was quite a task!!! After that she goes if i get AAA and phone them up they will give me an offer still which took another few hours 2 explain.
burningwings
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Ahhh my parents dont want me to apply to oxford as they said i probably wouldnt get in.. which was really nice considering i havent even done AS levels yet
smithsfan
Badges: 0
Report 14 years ago
In my opinion I would say parents reaction greatly depends on your background. Middle Class families, where the family has a history of going to uni are going to be far more pushy (especially those with kids applying to oxbridge) than those students whose parents have never been to university. In my experience and by reading posts on here I see this to be true.
*Hythlodaeus*
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I've only had one rejection so far, from Cambridge. When I told my mum she just said 'aaaahhh' and read the letter then said 'never mind' and I went off to work. I text my dad he was similarly not bothered! But they don't really get any more animated for offers either! When I told them about LSE, which I really want to go to and didn't expect to get an offer from, they just 'oh well done' and again returned to what hey were doing.

I cannot believe how cruel and selfish some parents are. Things have changed since they did or didn't go to uni, mainly the intense competition at nearly ALL unis. Perhaps I'm lucky that no one in my family has been to uni and so don't quite understand the process of it all. I can tell them whatever and they pretty much believe me!

I think a calm and measured response is always best- when ever I get good results they don't really seem overly excited and so it doesn't become such a big deal if I fail or mess something up.
kellywood_5
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by burningwings)
Ahhh my parents dont want me to apply to oxford as they said i probably wouldnt get in.. which was really nice considering i havent even done AS levels yet
Ignore them. If you want to apply, go ahead and do it, whether they want you to or not. You might get an offer and prove them wrong, and even if you don't, at least you've had a go. It must be better than always wondering 'what if?' I'm very vaguely considering applying to Cambridge. I don't think I have a hope in hell of getting in and nor do my parents, although I know they would be supportive if I applied and chances are, so would yours. It's only 1 out of 6 offers, so what have you got to lose? Go for it!
Richy Rich$$
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by burningwings)

My parents didnt think i should apply to cambridge, but i was determined to prove them wrong, and i got an offer. Its always worth aiming high, u shouldnt be disuaded by parents. If u think ure good enough, go for it.
Acaila
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Mine said they were more gutted than I was when I was rejected by Cambridge. I was trying to keep my spirits up, and they were just being horrible.
dazednconfused
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Whenever I got an offer my mum got really excited. There was one particular uni I had totally fallen in love with on an open day and my mum knew that - so when I got an offer from them, she actually picked me up and spun me round the room :rolleyes: She was great with rejections though, including my Cambridge rejection, she just had an 'oh well' kind of attitude - she was sad if I was sad but trying to cheer me up rather than make me feel bad. My dad is pretty non-demonstrative either way but he was really proud of me when I got offers I wanted. My parents are great
mangomaz
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
wen i got rejected from lse my dad just didnt understand.. he was like 'but ur predicted 3A's' and he didnt understand that every1 who applies lse econ has 3A's lol.. nd he kept emphasizing uv got the grades y dont they take u???? dude hes a teacher as well ud think hed know a little about competitiveness at lse lol. and wen i got my ucl offer he was like 'oh ok. is that good?'
lol i didnt bother telling my mum anything the whole uni thing doesnt make much sense to her apart from telling her friends wat her daughter is doing lol and how proud she is
Dyakson
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Which is worse, parents who are shocked and resentful when you get a rejection, or parents who just don't care at all?

(Not a rhetorical question, I'm interested in what people think!)

My parents more or less left things up to me - they went out of their way to avoid influencing my decision, I think. They were quietly pleased when I got offers (I think - it was all so long ago...) and were generally supportive all the way.
Irrational Pi
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Are people getting 6 offers not that common then?
Its just, I was at an open day for Leicester (ok, not a brilliiaaantt uni, but still) and they said 50% of the applicants were rejected before the open day.
And I've got all 6 offers (as below, waiting on official confirmation of Ports)... I just kinda thought it was common to get 6 offers, although I didn't apply to any really outstanding unis..apart from maybe Nottm...
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Why wouldn't you turn to teachers if you were being bullied?

They might tell my parents (26)
7.05%
They might tell the bully (35)
9.49%
I don't think they'd understand (56)
15.18%
It might lead to more bullying (144)
39.02%
There's nothing they could do (108)
29.27%

Watched Threads