The Student Room Group

occupational therapy or mental health nursing

I am currently in year 12 and thinking about which course to choose, I feel they are quite similar and also believe they differ are there certain criteria needed for any of them?
Original post by favour11
I am currently in year 12 and thinking about which course to choose, I feel they are quite similar and also believe they differ are there certain criteria needed for any of them?

Hi,
Thank you for you reply. I am a occupational therapy student at Oxford Brookes University and personally they both are very different. For instance, Occupational therapy is about making differences in peoples life such as adapting their home environment, giving them equipment, teaching them day to day skills, giving them advices, doing different assessment such as sensory, kitchen activity, wash and dress as well as giving them exercises whereas in nursing (im not quite sure what they exactly do as a mental health nurse ) but it is more sort of meeting their general requirements such as checking their BP, giving them tablets, looking after them and caring for person.

Hope that helps.

Kind regards,
Aloysha,
Oxford Brookes student rep & Occupational therapy student.
Original post by favour11

Go to open days at unis that offer both courses and listen to both the subject talks and talk to staff and students - even if it as at uni near you that you don't intend to go to. Also, try to gain a day or half a day's shadowing experience with an OT and at your local hospital.

Quick Reply