The Student Room Group

Using IAL/old spec edexcel papers as revision for A-Level edexcel Chemistry

I am doing A-level edexcel Chemistry and I have completed all of the past papers from the new spec (2017-2023). I was wondering whether it would be worth doing the IAL/old spec papers now as its the same exam board with the questions being almost identical. If so, which units should i do/avoid as I'm not too sure on how they're split up compared to the new spec A-level papers.
Original post by Burnyyy
I am doing A-level edexcel Chemistry and I have completed all of the past papers from the new spec (2017-2023). I was wondering whether it would be worth doing the IAL/old spec papers now as its the same exam board with the questions being almost identical. If so, which units should i do/avoid as I'm not too sure on how they're split up compared to the new spec A-level papers.

Stick to the newer IAL papers - just avoid any questions on unit 5 about diazonium ions and azo dyes.
I suppose you could use the older papers, too. In which case, you should avoid any diazonium ion and azo dye questions (unit 5) and any questions about environmental chemistry and the atmosphere (I think unit 1 or 2 - I can’t remember lol, it’s been two years since I was in the same position as you)
Original post by UtterlyUseless69
Stick to the newer IAL papers - just avoid any questions on unit 5 about diazonium ions and azo dyes.
I suppose you could use the older papers, too. In which case, you should avoid any diazonium ion and azo dye questions (unit 5) and any questions about environmental chemistry and the atmosphere (I think unit 1 or 2 - I can’t remember lol, it’s been two years since I was in the same position as you)

Also, units 3 and 6 may have elements of these topics come up. If they show up on these papers, ignore those questions

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending