The Student Room Group

Mature student undergraduate degree finance with a previous HNC

Hi there, I completed a part time HNC between 1997 and 1999 which my company funded. I now wish to undertake a full time History degree in 2025 and I am confused about the financial impact of the HNC on getting my tuition fees paid and being eligible for a student loan. Can you tell me what I would be able to claim for. I will be living at home and commuting to my course. I may also want to do a full time masters as well so again advice on funding for that would be helpful. Thank you
Hi there, I completed a part time HNC between 1997 and 1999 which my company funded. I now wish to undertake a full time History degree in 2025 and I am confused about the financial impact of the HNC on getting my tuition fees paid and being eligible for a student loan. Can you tell me what I would be able to claim for. I will be living at home and commuting to my course. I may also want to do a full time masters as well so again advice on funding for that would be helpful. Thank you

Hi there, how many years have you previously studied and what qualifications do you have? Thanks, Jason
Reply 2
Hi Jason, I did A levels from 1987 to 1989 and then went out to work. I did my HNC in 1997-1999 as a 2 year sandwich course which my company paid for at Warwickshire College.
Thanks. Can you confirm the full name of the new course and university? Will the new course be full time or part time? How many years will it be? When does the new course start (month and year)? Thanks, Leah.
Reply 4
Hi Leah, I wish to study BA (hons) War Studies at Wolverhampton University on a full time basis in Sept 2025 or poss Jan 2026 over 3 years
Hi Leah, I wish to study BA (hons) War Studies at Wolverhampton University on a full time basis in Sept 2025 or poss Jan 2026 over 3 years

Thanks for confirming. Student Finance uses this calculation to work out how much funding you have left:

New course length + Additional Year Previous study years

For example, your new course is 3 years long, your calculation would be:

3 + 1 2 = 2 years entitlement

This means your Tuition Fee would be blocked for Year 1 of the new course, but you can still apply for a Maintenance Loan and supplementary grants (if applicable). Even if the previous HNC was self funded, we still take this into consideration. Thanks, Leah.
Reply 6
Hi again, so just to confirm that
1) I would have to pay the first years tuition fee but not years 2 and 3
2) I can however still claim for 3 years of student finance based on my house hold income etc
3) If I wish to do a masters I wont need to pay the tuition fees upfront and can be added to my student debt and can still apply for a maintenance loan

Thanks for all your help so far
Hi there.

1) Yes, that's right. Year 2 and 3 would be fully funded.
2) You can still apply for the full Maintenance Loan + grant's for all years
3) This depends on the type of masters you are doing, do you have an idea of the type of course your masters would be? Thanks, Leah.
Reply 8
Not sure yet - have seen some that are 2 or 3 years part time/distance learning in the subject area i am interested but I don't understand what the implications for funding of these would be.
Is it the case that I can generally get full funding for a 1 year full time masters?
We do need to check the course first to determine the type of funding it attracts, as it can vary.

For general advice, if it's the Postgraduate Masters Loan (PGM), you can find more information on what you would get here: https://www.gov.uk/masters-loan/what-youll-get

You need to be under 60 years old before the start of the Academic Year to be eligible for the PGM.

PGM don't cover Tuition Fee. However, the loan paid to you can be used to pay the fees if you wish. A payment plan would need to be set up between you and the university for this. Thanks, Leah.
(edited 2 months ago)

Quick Reply