The Student Room Group

Suspended studies help re finance

I had to suspend studies due to ill health at University. I was told by uni not full time student. I have no money and have to pay for rent etc. I have looked at universal credit and said I would be eligible to apply but then saw some other information and said I could not. So not sure now if I can apply. If not would I be able to apply for extra help from student finance. I have already had the 60 days student finance apply if suspending on health grounds. Thank you
Original post by Maisy Louise
I had to suspend studies due to ill health at University. I was told by uni not full time student. I have no money and have to pay for rent etc. I have looked at universal credit and said I would be eligible to apply but then saw some other information and said I could not. So not sure now if I can apply. If not would I be able to apply for extra help from student finance. I have already had the 60 days student finance apply if suspending on health grounds. Thank you

Hi Maisy, if you're not studying then you wouldn't be eligible for any further funding until you resume your studies. If you've already applied for the maximum maintenance loan and the 60 extra days then I'd advise checking with the university to see if you qualify through them for any additional funding. Thanks, Jason
Thank you replying Jason. I just wondered if I may get any additional funding because on the government website it says as after the 60days may be able to get additional funding. Does that not apply in my case. ?
Hi there. If you are struggling financially due to your suspension, you could be considered to receive your Maintenance Loan payment through suspension. You will need to apply to our Financial Hardship Team (FHT) to request this.

Form link: https://media.slc.co.uk/sfe/2223/ft/sfe_financial_hardship_confirmation_form_2223_o.pdf

We would also need you to provide evidence as follows:

- Last 3 months bank statements
- Evidence of any obligations you’re liable to pay (tenancy agreement, utility bills etc)
- Copies of any debt/arrears letters you may have

They will need to have a clear understanding of your financial situation, so please provide everything you have to avoid delays in processing.

You can upload your evidence online. The timescale to process this is currently 6 working days.

A decision will be made on a case-by-case basis and is not guaranteed. We would also advise you speak to your university about your situation, as they may be able to help and provide support from their own hardship department. Thanks, Leah.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending