The Student Room Group

Macbook For Computer Science at Uni?

Im going to study computer science at uni later this year and i am not sure if i should get a windows laptop or a MacBook. Researching online, i found that the MacBook runs on UNIX system which is supposedly helpful for a learning computer science degree. Apparently in general it is a good laptop for computer science as well. Is this true for UK computer science degrees?
Original post by 9a495fa
Im going to study computer science at uni later this year and i am not sure if i should get a windows laptop or a MacBook. Researching online, i found that the MacBook runs on UNIX system which is supposedly helpful for a learning computer science degree. Apparently in general it is a good laptop for computer science as well. Is this true for UK computer science degrees?

From educational point of view, it doesn't matter, just pick whatever you fancy most and what makes the most financial sense to you.
Many guys in CS classes that I did some groups projects in the past with didn't own any personal computers at all and were absolutely fine since University provides with access to everything you need in their labs and libraries.
MacBooks can make it difficult in some situations if your course requires you to get certain computer science related software that can only be used on windows, however I have not found any software that I have had to use that cannot be installed/used on a MacBook so far. Personally, I would always go windows just because it makes it simple to use for university, but if you have grown up using MacBook and apple computers then you may find it more comfortable using MacBooks.
Original post by 9a495fa

Hey there,

Great to hear that you’re about to start studying computer science! Deciding between a Windows laptop and a MacBook can be tricky, but I’ve got some insights that might help.

Firstly, at the University of Salford, we have a fantastic service where students can borrow a Windows or MacBook laptop for up to a week. I recommend checking if your university offers a similar service. It’s a great way to get a feel for both systems before making a purchase.

Now, onto the choice between Windows and MacBook. I don’t own a laptop myself, but I manage quite well with the university’s resources and borrow laptops when needed. For computer science, both Windows and MacBook have their pros and cons. Windows laptops generally have fewer issues with software compatibility, especially in the context of UK computer science degrees. Many programs and tools you’ll need for your coursework are designed to run smoothly on Windows. Plus, Windows laptops often offer more variety in terms of hardware options and price points.

Ultimately, the decision comes down to personal preference and your specific needs. If you have the opportunity, try using both systems before making your choice. Look into the borrowing services at your university, and maybe even chat with current students or faculty to see what they recommend based on the course requirements.

Good luck with your studies and whichever laptop you decide to go with!

Best Regards,
Arslan University of Salford Student Representative
I'd get a Windows laptop, because then you can also install Linux on it and dual boot, so you choose which OS to use any time you boot up.
Reply 5
Original post by 9a495fa

I don't really know why anyone buys Macbooks these days other than for vanity or because they have too much money. As ever, they are rather bespoke with the mainstream of software working on Windows systems. For the money you can buy something very good in the Windows land even if it doesn't have the same "cool" factor. Of course, if you are an Apple Fan boy and part of the Apple kingdom, no doubt only a Macbook will do so ultimately it doesn't matter than much.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending