The Student Room Group

I got a B in maths, and I need an A, what should I do?

So I marked my higher sqa maths exam myself and I got a B. I was getting comfortable As and high As in the past papers but I did badly in the exam. My university course requires a minimum of A, what should I do?. If I do advanced higher maths and get a A in that, will the university's ignore the B in Higher? What courses and extracurricular stuff can I do to increase my chances for uni? should I resit higher next year? any tips would be greatly appreciated, I want to do astrophysics in univeristy.
(edited 2 months ago)
Original post by carlchrist
So I marked my higher sqa maths exam myself and I got a B. I was getting comfortable As and high As in the past papers but I did badly in the exam. My university course requires a minimum of A, what should I do?. If I do advanced higher maths and get a A in that, will the university's ignore the B in Higher? What courses and extracurricular stuff can I do to increase my chances for uni? should I resit higher next year? any tips would be greatly appreciated, I want to do astrophysics in univeristy.

hey, even thought you counted up ur marks the marker might be generous and give u more marks than u think and maybe u will get an A but if not its ok. Also if the university really need an A from u then u might aswell do it again next year, but I am sure u did well :smile:
Reply 2

I was in ure situation last year, i recived a B in higher maths but needed an a for my course, they woudlnt request an a at ah. a B at Ah is equivelnt to a A at higher
Reply 3
for ChemEng it’s the same I needed an A (i was literally 1 mark away from it 💀) I asked my teachers what I should do, they said I’m better off taking advanced rather than doing higher again.

C in Adv = B in higher
B in Adv = A in higher

But just to be sure also email the unis first to see if that’s okay with them!
Reply 4
Original post by NieveThomas
hey, even thought you counted up ur marks the marker might be generous and give u more marks than u think and maybe u will get an A but if not its ok. Also if the university really need an A from u then u might aswell do it again next year, but I am sure u did well :smile:

Alright thank you, I thought so. I used a marking scheme online so pretty sure its decently accurate. But we can hope that the marker is generous
Reply 5
Original post by Blenxo
I was in ure situation last year, i recived a B in higher maths but needed an a for my course, they woudlnt request an a at ah. a B at Ah is equivelnt to a A at higher

Alright thank you, Yeah I dont really know what Unis look at. I was planning on doing Adv Higher Maths, mechanics and physics but the B is making me reconsider if i should retake higher maths. didn't know adv higher B was equivalent to a A in higher, thank you :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by 2022user
for ChemEng it’s the same I needed an A (i was literally 1 mark away from it 💀) I asked my teachers what I should do, they said I’m better off taking advanced rather than doing higher again.
C in Adv = B in higher
B in Adv = A in higher
But just to be sure also email the unis first to see if that’s okay with them!

Alright, thank you very much. Yeah think I will to adv higher maths and email the Uni, thanks

Quick Reply