The Student Room Group

University of West England (Bristol) or Uni of Sussex for Engineering?

Hey,

I'm torn between University of West England in Bristol and University of Sussex for engineering.
Seeking advice on:

1. Social Scene: Which university offers a better social scene for an international student?

2. ASC and Students Union: Which university has a more active ACS and Students Union?

3. Prestige and Employer Perception:Is there a noticeable difference in prestige for engineering degrees between the two? How do employers view them?

4. Reputation in Engineering: Which university has a stronger reputation in the engineering field?

Any insights or experiences would be appreciated!
Reply 1
For an International applicant, I'd recommend Sussex over UWE.

Sussex is a cosy campus Uni in an interesting large historic coastal town - great for social life and within a 50 mins train ride to London, UWE is in a distant suburb of Bristol, and not the most attractive Uni, and attracts many local students who are not really interested in mixing with Internationals.
Original post by Njonde.jordan
Hey,
I'm torn between University of West England in Bristol and University of Sussex for engineering.
Seeking advice on:
1. Social Scene: Which university offers a better social scene for an international student?
2. ASC and Students Union: Which university has a more active ACS and Students Union?
3. Prestige and Employer Perception:Is there a noticeable difference in prestige for engineering degrees between the two? How do employers view them?
4. Reputation in Engineering: Which university has a stronger reputation in the engineering field?
On engineering and employability id say not a lot in it, if i had to pick one id go Sussex but not a lot in it either way.

Regarding ACS, id check out the societies instagram pages to see if you can gauge how active & the size of the societies.

Social scene, I guess it depends what you want:

β€’

Sussex is in Brighton a fairly small city but right on the coast - I don’t know too much about the university social scene their though

β€’

Bristol is a fairly large city by UK standards, quite well known for its nightlife, bars/clubs/restaurants, decent sports & entertainment around.

β€’

Bristol is a very big engineering employment hub particularly within European aerospace sector (pretty much all the major players have a big office there) but it has a tonne of engineering industry there from several sectors. Bristol is certainly popular with professional engineers id say but you are unlikely to mingle with them whilst you are a student.

Reply 3
Just be aware that UWE is not the University of Bristol - that is where the big engineering/Bristol connections are and not at UWE.
Reply 4
Thank you for your replies, your insights were very helpful.
Original post by Njonde.jordan
Hey,
Seeking advice on:

Hi @Njonde.jordan

Thank you for your interest in UWE Bristol! πŸ™‚

We have a great social scene being based in a very large and diverse city such as Bristol! Here is the link to our Students' Union Home (thestudentsunion.co.uk) which has details of all of our societies and activities so you can get an idea of what goes on on campus.

Have you visited both universities? This can be a great way to get a feel for the campuses / courses and what life will be like, we have an open day coming up on the 8th June Undergraduate On Campus Open Day | UWE Bristol at UWE Bristol and would love to see you there!

If I can help with any other questions please let me know πŸ™‚

Courtney

Quick Reply