The Student Room Group

Stem Epq

Hi I’m a year 12 student studying Maths FM Chemistry and Physics hoping to apply for NatSci (Phys)at Cambridge and am looking to make my application more competitive, however am unsure of what to do for my epq that is outside of the alevel specification yet still achievable at my current level. I am interested in Mechanics and applied maths in physics and enjoy topics that overlap in chemistry and physics and suggestions welcome
Reply 1
I don't know how EPQs work at your school but at mine the top 5% of performers in the year group are found, and then they are asked on whether they would like to do an EPQ. If there is no information on this that has already been provided I suggest asking a member of staff as to how you would go about applying for an EPQ. I am doing all of the same subjects and I think that an EPQ would be too much for me - personally, I have spoken to a member of staff and they have already told me that I am unlikely to need one with already having all of the subjects that I we both do! However that is not to put you off of it that is just some personal input from what I would do!
Reply 2
Original post by Holmes21
I don't know how EPQs work at your school but at mine the top 5% of performers in the year group are found, and then they are asked on whether they would like to do an EPQ. If there is no information on this that has already been provided I suggest asking a member of staff as to how you would go about applying for an EPQ. I am doing all of the same subjects and I think that an EPQ would be too much for me - personally, I have spoken to a member of staff and they have already told me that I am unlikely to need one with already having all of the subjects that I we both do! However that is not to put you off of it that is just some personal input from what I would do!

No I already have signed up to do an EPQ I’m looking for ideas related to the stem field for my question
Reply 3
Original post by 1278721372
No I already have signed up to do an EPQ I’m looking for ideas related to the stem field for my question

Oh fair enough! Well you should bend more into your favorite part of science - in my opinion, as the Natsci course should be accepting of any science EPQ, don't take me on that for sure. Do you by any chance know how EPQs work? Because I though that you could do anything that you wanted! If I was doing it then I personally may have chosen to do an EPQ on something like a dysen sphere for physics or study into quantum.
Reply 4
Oh fair enough! Well you should bend more into your favorite part of science - in my opinion, as the Natsci course should be accepting of any science EPQ, don't take me on that for sure. Do you by any chance know how EPQs work? Because I though that you could do anything that you wanted! If I was doing it then I personally may have chosen to do an EPQ on something like a dysen sphere for physics or study into quantum.

Yes they can be on anything you want, as long as it isn't within the specification of topics that you are studying.
Reply 5
Original post by mesub
Yes they can be on anything you want, as long as it isn't within the specification of topics that you are studying.
Oh nice! Thank you for telling me about that actually that is quite helpful to be honest with you, I didn’t really know what to do with it, but I may opt for an EPQ over one of my A-levels (chemistry possibly) because I like the idea of having some sort of resting time 😂
Reply 6
Oh nice! Thank you for telling me about that actually that is quite helpful to be honest with you, I didn’t really know what to do with it, but I may opt for an EPQ over one of my A-levels (chemistry possibly) because I like the idea of having some sort of resting time 😂

EPQ is worth ~1/2 an A level. They're meant to be taken alongside A levels, not instead of an A level.
Reply 7
Original post by mesub
EPQ is worth ~1/2 an A level. They're meant to be taken alongside A levels, not instead of an A level.

Ah I see and yes it would be taken along side maths, further maths and physics if I was to do that and with the fourth at the start of next year or end of this year I decided that it would be too strenuous!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending