The Student Room Group

I don't qualify for extra time but still struggle to complete exams

I've done the tests for extra time and I didn't qualify as I am well within what is considered normal. However, I still really struggle to finish exam papers or have time to go back and check my work. Does anyone have any advice or tips to make time management easier?
You are not alone! Often, I have to sacrifice any time meant for checking and do minimal plans so I have the most time possible to write. Still, I couldn't get down my essay. The only thing I really do to cope is just really be aware of the time, and check the clock; also, give yourself deadlines for when you need to finish questions by and try to stick to them. You can calculate timings for each question based on how many minutes you're given for marks. This only really applies to the formulaic exams like english lit or language though
Reply 2
Original post by azaaaa9000
You are not alone! Often, I have to sacrifice any time meant for checking and do minimal plans so I have the most time possible to write. Still, I couldn't get down my essay. The only thing I really do to cope is just really be aware of the time, and check the clock; also, give yourself deadlines for when you need to finish questions by and try to stick to them. You can calculate timings for each question based on how many minutes you're given for marks. This only really applies to the formulaic exams like english lit or language though

Yeah, it's really hard to move on from unfinished questions though that I know I could complete if I had more time, but it might only be like 10 marks and if it's already been the time allocated for it are you meant to just stop?
Original post by Figtrees
Yeah, it's really hard to move on from unfinished questions though that I know I could complete if I had more time, but it might only be like 10 marks and if it's already been the time allocated for it are you meant to just stop?

so this is my problem. I know I should stop but I just don't a lot of the time. Normally, my timings have a little bit of wiggle-room so even if I go over deadlines a bit I still have time. It just makes me rush and really be aware I shoould finish asap, although I'm now realising it'd be smarter to get into that headspace like 5 minutes earlier. Like on the lit paper, I wrote about half a page more on the first question than the second. It's not the end of the world though; if spending more time on that question gets you marks, then it's worth it.

Quick Reply