The Student Room Group

vet med gap year

hi everyone,
I am currently in year 12 and I've just finished my chemistry and maths unit 2 alevels, and I don't think I'll get good grades in them. I have to apply this October, but I don't think I would get any offers bc of my low predicted grades. do resitting the exams next year and taking a gap year to apply next year make the uni have higher expectations for both work experience and grades? Or do they look for the same grades for the y13 students and the graduated ones?
Reply 1
I would still apply anyway as even if you don't get any offers directly they might offer alternatives and potentially they will still over you an interview and those are worth the practise because even if they don't offer you a place and you get the grades there is a slight chance you can get in via clearing.
Reply 2
Original post by Zoe101!
I would still apply anyway as even if you don't get any offers directly they might offer alternatives and potentially they will still over you an interview and those are worth the practise because even if they don't offer you a place and you get the grades there is a slight chance you can get in via clearing.
yeah even if I take a gap year, I am definitely going to apply this year for practice but I just wanted to know if they prefer people that are applying for the first time!
Reply 3
Original post by seleneee
yeah even if I take a gap year, I am definitely going to apply this year for practice but I just wanted to know if they prefer people that are applying for the first time!

No because from my research its unlikely most people get accepted the first time anyway.
Reply 4
Original post by Zoe101!
No because from my research its unlikely most people get accepted the first time anyway.

Don't some universities reject resits? I'm pretty sure Edinburgh doesn't accept resits
Edinburgh and Glasgow don’t accept resits, but the other unis do - but some may either ask for higher grades on the resit (e.g. Liverpool asks for A*AA rather than AAA) or they may ask you have a certain minimum on your first sitting, I don’t know all of them so I’d check out their individual websites thoroughly before applying. I wouldn’t apply anywhere you don’t meet the criteria for as it will be an instant rejection due to how many applicants they get per place. They won’t frown at you resitting or reapplying though, but some do have a limit on the number of times you can apply there, for many it is 2 times so I would bear that in mind. Plenty of students take gap years, many students don’t get in first time round, so you won’t be alone but I would plan to do things in your gap year to keep busy, e.g. work experience, work, travel or whatever even alongside resitting. I took a gap year because despite getting the right grades I didn’t get any offers the first time I applied, and even though I never planned a gap year it was a blessing in disguise. The only unis to my knowledge which don’t look at predicted grades fully is Nottingham and I think Cambridge, but they do look at your GCSEs instead. You can also look into gateway courses if you are eligible for widening participation at Bristol, RVC and Nottingham. Tbh I wouldn’t apply to other unis if your predicted grades are more than 1 or 2 grades away from their standard offer, and even then I would email them first enquiring and I still think it’s a very high risk of an instant rejection, so again keep in mind the limit on number of applications - some students do have to do 3 application cycles so you don’t want to shoot yourself in the foot later on. I would try to convince your teachers to change your predicted grades if you can, do extra work over summer or whatever, asked to be reassessed in September before you apply to “prove” you can do it, I’d say bargaining like that would be worth it.

Quick Reply