The Student Room Group

OCR GCSE Chemistry A Paper 1 Higher (J248/03) - 17th May 2024 [Exam Chat]

Poll

How well did your OCR GCSE Chemistry A Paper 1 Higher (J248/03) exam go today?

OCR GCSE Chemistry A Paper 1 Higher (J248/03) - 17th May 2024 [Exam Chat]

Welcome to the exam discussion thread for this exam. Introduce yourself! Let others know what you're aiming for in your exams, what you are struggling with in your revision or anything else.

Wishing you all the best of luck.

General Information
Date/Time: Friday 17th May / AM
Length: 1h 45m
(edited 2 months ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hi guys good luck for this predominant exam. It is v important. Do you guys get the joke? cuz my name start with a v get it 🤣🤣
panicking about this. haven't revised yet
anyone have any predictions?
Reply 4
Guys just to calm you down this exam will be very hard because last year was easy. Happy days!
Reply 5
Original post by vai2099
Guys just to calm you down this exam will be very hard because last year was easy. Happy days!

nah apparently the exam boards try their best to keep each year relatively the same level
Reply 6
I need predictions desperately, will moles and electrolysis come up a lot?
Reply 7
Original post by graceke
I need predictions desperately, will moles and electrolysis come up a lot?

honestly, anything could come up, but yes, there tends to be at least one question on moles and electrolysis from what I've seen on past papers
Reply 8
Good luck everyone :smile:
What did you guys get for the last question (the one about the moles and the amount of magnesium carbonate used up)
Original post by Mospeedius
What did you guys get for the last question (the one about the moles and the amount of magnesium carbonate used up)

i got 7.6 or something but people are saying ur supposed to add the 0.82??
Reply 11
Original post by ssshhhsh
i got 7.6 or something but people are saying ur supposed to add the 0.82??

I got that asw but some people are saying it's 9. something coz they added it
Ok guys all Im gonna say is that grade boundaries are gonna be astronomical.

Btw the right answer for the last one was 9.25. You were supposed to get 8.43 grams of Magnesium carbonate that reacted with the acid and you would need to add the 0.82 grams left in the beaker to get the total amount of MgCO3 used.
Reply 13
Original post by ThePieMaster
Btw the right answer for the last one was 9.25. You were supposed to get 8.43 grams of Magnesium carbonate that reacted with the acid and you would need to add the 0.82 grams left in the beaker to get the total amount of MgCO3 used.

but 9.25g wasn't used coz there's 0.82 left over
Original post by ThePieMaster
but 8.23 was the whole amount of carbonate in the experiment so u minus it to get what was used up
Reply 15
Original post by ssshhhsh
but 8.23 was the whole amount of carbonate in the experiment so u minus it to get what was used up

yeah exactly so isnt it 7.61
Reply 16
Yo you man what did you get for last q? I got 7.61g
Original post by dxvid_
Yo you man what did you get for last q? I got 7.61g

Reply 18
it's 9.25g because if there was no limiting reactant, you would have 0.1 moles of magnesium carbonate, so 8.43g however, you have some excess, on top of what you would have got had the moles been equal. So it's 9.25 (8.43 + 0.82) and if you calculate the moles (mass / mr) you'd see it's 0.11 moles so it's in excess, so HCl is limiting, if you got 7.61g, the magnesium carbonate would be the limiting and HCl would be in excess, that's what I think anyway :smile:
Original post by Liqht
it's 9.25g because if there was no limiting reactant, you would have 0.1 moles of magnesium carbonate, so 8.43g however, you have some excess, on top of what you would have got had the moles been equal. So it's 9.25 (8.43 + 0.82) and if you calculate the moles (mass / mr) you'd see it's 0.11 moles so it's in excess, so HCl is limiting, if you got 7.61g, the magnesium carbonate would be the limiting and HCl would be in excess, that's what I think anyway :smile:

crazy i did none of that

Quick Reply