The Student Room Group

Should I pursue something I’m naturally talented at?

I have a natural talent when it comes to dance, I was a self taught dancer and joined a dance school for three years where I uncovered I am quite good at singing, dancing and acting.

Many people have told me I have immense potential if I were to pursue it in the future which really got into my head without me realising, I feel like now it would be a shame if I didn’t pursue something I’m good at.

Because I was so caught up with everything people told me I auditioned for universities that only offer a professional dance and musical theatre course and have secured a place at Bird College in London. I am now starting to question my choices, when I think about the future I get scared of the idea of having an unreliable career, I feel like the constant assessments and focus on technique will make me lose my passion and natural ability when it comes to performing.

I can’t tell if that’s just because I am scared of moving so far away or if I genuinely just don’t want to go to uni, I feel like if I don’t go I’ll disappoint everyone around me including myself and I’ll lose out on a year but then if I go I don’t want to be miserable for the next three years and then not be able to get a job out of it.

Any advice?
Original post by Random1795
I have a natural talent when it comes to dance, I was a self taught dancer and joined a dance school for three years where I uncovered I am quite good at singing, dancing and acting.
Many people have told me I have immense potential if I were to pursue it in the future which really got into my head without me realising, I feel like now it would be a shame if I didn’t pursue something I’m good at.
Because I was so caught up with everything people told me I auditioned for universities that only offer a professional dance and musical theatre course and have secured a place at Bird College in London. I am now starting to question my choices, when I think about the future I get scared of the idea of having an unreliable career, I feel like the constant assessments and focus on technique will make me lose my passion and natural ability when it comes to performing.
I can’t tell if that’s just because I am scared of moving so far away or if I genuinely just don’t want to go to uni, I feel like if I don’t go I’ll disappoint everyone around me including myself and I’ll lose out on a year but then if I go I don’t want to be miserable for the next three years and then not be able to get a job out of it.
Any advice?

Hi there, I feel like what you’re going through is quite normal for a lot of people and it is completely normal to feel this way, so don’t panic too much! I mean I’m still in secondary school, so I can’t tell you much about university, but one thing is certain that you should always try to do things that you will not regret in the future, which means if you know pursing a career in performing arts is something you truly want- go ahead!! I guess the amount of assessments/ more analytical work depends on which part of the performing arts career you choose. For example, if going choosing to study a coarse of becoming a performing arts teacher, there will be more assessments, and if you’re doing a coarse on being an actual performer, than there won’t be as much assessments. But seriously- do not worry too much, it’s completely normal to feel this way, and if performing arts is your true passion- trust me even some assessments will not ruin that passion, and always remember to make decisions that you know you won’t regret!!
Hope this somewhat helped you!!
Reply 2
Original post by RanilovesOR&TS
Hi there, I feel like what you’re going through is quite normal for a lot of people and it is completely normal to feel this way, so don’t panic too much! I mean I’m still in secondary school, so I can’t tell you much about university, but one thing is certain that you should always try to do things that you will not regret in the future, which means if you know pursing a career in performing arts is something you truly want- go ahead!! I guess the amount of assessments/ more analytical work depends on which part of the performing arts career you choose. For example, if going choosing to study a coarse of becoming a performing arts teacher, there will be more assessments, and if you’re doing a coarse on being an actual performer, than there won’t be as much assessments. But seriously- do not worry too much, it’s completely normal to feel this way, and if performing arts is your true passion- trust me even some assessments will not ruin that passion, and always remember to make decisions that you know you won’t regret!!
Hope this somewhat helped you!!
Thank you so much for taking the time to read my post and reply to it, I appreciate it a lot! I think the thing I’m struggling with the most is that the stress that comes with uni has made me loose my excitement for performing, I’ve just started questioning if it’s really something I want to do.
Do you think it’s a good idea to try going even if I’m not 100% sure about it being the best option for me?
Original post by Random1795
Thank you so much for taking the time to read my post and reply to it, I appreciate it a lot! I think the thing I’m struggling with the most is that the stress that comes with uni has made me loose my excitement for performing, I’ve just started questioning if it’s really something I want to do.
Do you think it’s a good idea to try going even if I’m not 100% sure about it being the best option for me?

Hmm, if this is the case then I feel like you should consider other paths, like an apprenticeship.University is not for everyone, and that is completely fine, you might enjoy doing a performing arts apprenticeship course, or something similar, that best suits your interests.
Hope you find a course you enjoy!

Quick Reply

Latest