The Student Room Group

Suspending Studies Finance

I’m waiting a response from my uni, but thought I’d ask here in the meantime.

I’m taking a gap year, I’m just wrapping up my second year of my degree and suspending my studies for a year before I go back to graduate for financial reasons.

SFE haven’t got information I understand, I’m unsure if I have to pay 25% of my tuition because I’m suspending my studies? Is this correct, how I understand it?

I understand my maintenance will change, and that’s fine. Does anyone have any knowledge or experience on how? Just so I know what to expect.

I really can’t afford to go back to uni next year. But if I have to pay 25% of my tuition when I go back (if that’s correct, anyway), is it upfront? Before I start the year? Can i set up a plan? etc etc.

If anyone can provide any insights at all that would be incredibly useful. Thank you!
Original post by Mindaee
I’m waiting a response from my uni, but thought I’d ask here in the meantime.
I’m taking a gap year, I’m just wrapping up my second year of my degree and suspending my studies for a year before I go back to graduate for financial reasons.
SFE haven’t got information I understand, I’m unsure if I have to pay 25% of my tuition because I’m suspending my studies? Is this correct, how I understand it?
I understand my maintenance will change, and that’s fine. Does anyone have any knowledge or experience on how? Just so I know what to expect.
I really can’t afford to go back to uni next year. But if I have to pay 25% of my tuition when I go back (if that’s correct, anyway), is it upfront? Before I start the year? Can i set up a plan? etc etc.
If anyone can provide any insights at all that would be incredibly useful. Thank you!

Hi there, If you are looking to suspend from your studies, we will require an electronic Change of Circumstance (COC) from your university confirming the fees they are requesting. This means we can run a new assessment on your account and stop any future payments. The suspension may cause an overpayment if you have been paid too much loan for the time you attended. We would write out to you and notify if this is the case and let you know how to repay this. Thanks, Jason
Reply 2
Original post by SFE Jason
Hi there, If you are looking to suspend from your studies, we will require an electronic Change of Circumstance (COC) from your university confirming the fees they are requesting. This means we can run a new assessment on your account and stop any future payments. The suspension may cause an overpayment if you have been paid too much loan for the time you attended. We would write out to you and notify if this is the case and let you know how to repay this. Thanks, Jason
Hi, thanks for the response. I understand the overpayment aspect for the years of my study I’ve already completed. However, I am finishing my second year and deferring my third year of study. It is when I go back for my third year that is my concern - When I return, is there anything in terms of tuition that may be different that I should expect? I.E my University sent me a document saying if I suspended my studies between Sep-Oct, I owe 25% of my tuition. I want to know if this applies to me since I’m deferring my last year before returning to complete my final year.
Hi Mindaee,

You will need to discuss this with your university as it is at their discretion as to how much they charge you for tuition fees.

Thanks,
Calum

Quick Reply