The Student Room Group

A Level Computer Science OCR NEA

I'm looking at doing a gym/work out application for my NEA however I'm really unsure of how to make it complicated enough to gain top marks and what coding techniques to use. I'm thinking of providing the user with exercise to target specific areas then allowing for them to input their results and then the program will analyse them and provide feedback on if they are getting fitter etc. Maybe upload data from a watch if that's possible?
Do you have any ideas on how I could get this complicated enough to be an A* kind of project? Also I heard that you apparently get no marks for SQL in OCR but I can't find anything on this?
Reply 1
I did AQA but just did mine and got top marks.
Literally just added the top techniques in the mark scheme and wrote it in OOP.
I’d recommend basing your project off what type of techniques your going to add and coming up with what the system will do based off that :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by ca.tlin
I'm looking at doing a gym/work out application for my NEA however I'm really unsure of how to make it complicated enough to gain top marks and what coding techniques to use. I'm thinking of providing the user with exercise to target specific areas then allowing for them to input their results and then the program will analyse them and provide feedback on if they are getting fitter etc. Maybe upload data from a watch if that's possible?
Do you have any ideas on how I could get this complicated enough to be an A* kind of project? Also I heard that you apparently get no marks for SQL in OCR but I can't find anything on this?

The level of complexity isnt an issue - mine got 68/70 marks on the OCR NEA and mine was a basic 2d game. The key is documentation. Make sure you document every step properly - all your mistakes are key for high marks. In terms of complication specifically - you can have different difficulties of exercises from beginner to hard to match each individual’s gym needs.
Original post by ca.tlin

Nah I used SQLite3 and got 64/70 in the end. I mean you obviously need to use SQL along with a high level programming language like Python, etc. Something that will help with the complexity is using charts and graphs, which you could very well do with your proposed idea. If using Python, you could use Matplotlib. Complexity is an important factor, but don't get too focused on that, make sure your project is feasable. I did a CRM for mine, and it wasn't overly complex. But remember to document EVERYTHING, this is very important. Good luck!
Reply 4
Original post by arash3344
Nah I used SQLite3 and got 64/70 in the end. I mean you obviously need to use SQL along with a high level programming language like Python, etc. Something that will help with the complexity is using charts and graphs, which you could very well do with your proposed idea. If using Python, you could use Matplotlib. Complexity is an important factor, but don't get too focused on that, make sure your project is feasable. I did a CRM for mine, and it wasn't overly complex. But remember to document EVERYTHING, this is very important. Good luck!

omg yeah don't leave stuff like testing till the last minute bc its the most boring thing and better to do it in small chunks throughout

Quick Reply