The Student Room Group

A Level Subjects

I’m first year at college and doing Economics Business And Spanish and I’ve only just been made aware that unis don’t like economics and business but you might get away with it if you have maths. My question is simple am I ****ed? And what can I do about it
Original post by charlie2778
I’m first year at college and doing Economics Business And Spanish and I’ve only just been made aware that unis don’t like economics and business but you might get away with it if you have maths. My question is simple am I ****ed? And what can I do about it

If you’re looking at Russell Group universities then yes this is correct for most if not all STEM subjects. This is more urgent if Spanish is your native language as universities often may not view your native language as one of 3 A-Levels as competitive.

Definitely ask your college about doing A-Level Maths in one year. Depending on how/if they teach Further Maths, they may cover all of the A-Level Maths content in the first year and you could join a Y12 Further Maths class next year in addition to the Y13 classes for your current A-Levels. Y13 students have done this at my college before but you won’t study any of Further Maths as this Y12 class will do all of that in their Y13.

This will definitely be a lot of work though, you would effectively attend lessons as if you were taking 5 A-Levels and leave college with 4, again if Spanish is your native language then don’t rule out dropping it. Good luck though and if you’re ready to put the work in you can for sure make it work.
Reply 2
Original post by GeorgeR2810
If you’re looking at Russell Group universities then yes this is correct for most if not all STEM subjects. This is more urgent if Spanish is your native language as universities often may not view your native language as one of 3 A-Levels as competitive.
Definitely ask your college about doing A-Level Maths in one year. Depending on how/if they teach Further Maths, they may cover all of the A-Level Maths content in the first year and you could join a Y12 Further Maths class next year in addition to the Y13 classes for your current A-Levels. Y13 students have done this at my college before but you won’t study any of Further Maths as this Y12 class will do all of that in their Y13.
This will definitely be a lot of work though, you would effectively attend lessons as if you were taking 5 A-Levels and leave college with 4, again if Spanish is your native language then don’t rule out dropping it. Good luck though and if you’re ready to put the work in you can for sure make it work.
I’m looking to do Finance and Spanish isn’t my native tongue if entry requirements are AAB which I will get if not better would you say my chances for a russel group are still slim?
Original post by charlie2778
I’m looking to do Finance and Spanish isn’t my native tongue if entry requirements are AAB which I will get if not better would you say my chances for a russel group are still slim?

You might be restricted but it’s definitely possible. Manchester, Exeter, Leeds and Durham all do not require Maths for finance and many similar courses.

To give yourself more choice though, it would be really good either to try to push for AAA or A*AB or again enquire about studying Maths over 1 year. Good luck !

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending