The Student Room Group
Freshers Week, University of Bath
University of Bath
Bath

Student life at University of Bath

Hi, I recently made the University of Bath my firm choice as I received an offer for the International management and French course. I was wondering if someone would be able to tell me about their student life at Bath and what the city is like. I visited the university on an open day, although I did not manage to look at the city centre.
Have you chosen your accommodation yet? Is it 7 choices and are some choices grouped together?
Freshers Week, University of Bath
University of Bath
Bath
Reply 2
Original post by ilovelemons
Have you chosen your accommodation yet? Is it 7 choices and are some choices grouped together?
I haven’t applied for accommodation yet, although I believe that you get 7 choices
Original post by natalier23
I haven’t applied for accommodation yet, although I believe that you get 7 choices

Yes believe it’s 7 choices
Original post by ilovelemons

it is 7 choices, what do you mean by grouped together?
Hi, I recently made the University of Bath my firm choice as I received an offer for the International management and French course. I was wondering if someone would be able to tell me about their student life at Bath and what the city is like. I visited the university on an open day, although I did not manage to look at the city centre.

Hi,

Congratulations on your offer from Bath and great to know that you have firmed us!

Personally, I find Bath to be a perfect size as its big enough that theres lots to do and explore, but small enough that you can get to know it well. The city itself Is really pretty and theres lots of surrounding rural areas to explore. I recommend the Bath skyline walk or Warleigh weir which is a popular spot in the summer approx. 30 mins walk from campus. As a student there are lots of advantages too such as student discounts, free entry to the Roman Baths and various museums etc.

Although Bath has a quieter night life than Bristol, there are lots of events that the university and societies run so as a student theres lots to do! Also, since there are 2 universities in Bath, you definitely get a student feel in the city. As a social person myself, I like to get involved with lots of society events which allows me to meet so many new people. You can find more information about our societies and some of the events the university organises on our SU website here: https://www.thesubath.com/. Also, Bristol is only a 12-minute train from Bath with buses running all night back to Bath so if you wanted a bigger night out then you have this option. We also do a “Bath takes Bristol” event which involves night of clubbing in Bristol with transport to and from campus/city arranged. The freedom of being able to travel so easily between Bath and Bristol, and even London, is a positive!

In the summer, there Is such a community feel amongst the students. We often have lunch by the lake on campus and theres always picnics at the royal crescent on a hot summer evening or a good game of beach volleyball on campus!

There’s also lots to get involved with in terms of creative hobbies and sports. The sports village facilities are free for students to book (apart from the gym unless you have a membership) and The Edge has lots of music events and allows room booking and equipment if that’s something you re interested in.

In terms of academic, every student is assigned a personal tutor ( a member of staff within your department who you will meet with regularly throughout the year) and a peer mentor (a student who is on the same course as you in a higher year who you can contact for revision help, advice on how to learn at university and anything else you want!). I found these points of contact particularly useful when settling into a new learning environment and everyone was very supportive.

Hope this helps and please let me know if you have any more questions!

Sharon (3rd year student)

also in regards to the city, bath is one of my favourite cities! they have decent shopping options and in terms of the nightlife im not so sure because ive always gone there just as a little day trip but i love it!!
Reply 7
Original post by University of Bath
Hi,
Congratulations on your offer from Bath and great to know that you have firmed us!
Personally, I find Bath to be a perfect size as its big enough that theres lots to do and explore, but small enough that you can get to know it well. The city itself Is really pretty and theres lots of surrounding rural areas to explore. I recommend the Bath skyline walk or Warleigh weir which is a popular spot in the summer approx. 30 mins walk from campus. As a student there are lots of advantages too such as student discounts, free entry to the Roman Baths and various museums etc.
Although Bath has a quieter night life than Bristol, there are lots of events that the university and societies run so as a student theres lots to do! Also, since there are 2 universities in Bath, you definitely get a student feel in the city. As a social person myself, I like to get involved with lots of society events which allows me to meet so many new people. You can find more information about our societies and some of the events the university organises on our SU website here: https://www.thesubath.com/. Also, Bristol is only a 12-minute train from Bath with buses running all night back to Bath so if you wanted a bigger night out then you have this option. We also do a “Bath takes Bristol” event which involves night of clubbing in Bristol with transport to and from campus/city arranged. The freedom of being able to travel so easily between Bath and Bristol, and even London, is a positive!
In the summer, there Is such a community feel amongst the students. We often have lunch by the lake on campus and theres always picnics at the royal crescent on a hot summer evening or a good game of beach volleyball on campus!
There’s also lots to get involved with in terms of creative hobbies and sports. The sports village facilities are free for students to book (apart from the gym unless you have a membership) and The Edge has lots of music events and allows room booking and equipment if that’s something you re interested in.
In terms of academic, every student is assigned a personal tutor ( a member of staff within your department who you will meet with regularly throughout the year) and a peer mentor (a student who is on the same course as you in a higher year who you can contact for revision help, advice on how to learn at university and anything else you want!). I found these points of contact particularly useful when settling into a new learning environment and everyone was very supportive.
Hope this helps and please let me know if you have any more questions!
Sharon (3rd year student)

This is very helpful, thank you! :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by vanillacandles
also in regards to the city, bath is one of my favourite cities! they have decent shopping options and in terms of the nightlife im not so sure because ive always gone there just as a little day trip but i love it!!

Thank you for your help! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending