The Student Room Group
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews

Employability: Glasgow or St Andrews?

Hi everyone,

I've been trying to see if Glasgow or St Andrews is better for graduate employment, and I get the feeling its St Ands, but different rankings tell me different things. I'm doing English so it probably doesn't even matter LOL, but because I'm doing a generally pretty unemployable degree I really need all the help I can get in that department. I'm hesitant on going to St Ands, but if employability is wildly better i'll have to consider it strongly, but I can't find/don't know any genuine objective way to check. Any advice?
I personally don't really trust the rankings, but the ones that I've seen (Times, Guardian etc) mostly put St. Andrews higher than Glasgow. I think it is generally regarded as more "prestigious", however it is worth pointing out that St. Andrews is not Russell Group and Glasgow is (though how much difference this makes for an undergraduate degree is debatable). I have opted for St. Andrews over Glasgow and Edinburgh (for theoretical physics), but I wasn't really considering employability too much.
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews
Hi @igamach,

I am unsure of the statistics for your specific course, but as a student within the University of Glasgow's College of Arts, I have had great experiences engaging with the University's careers service. The service offers a broad range of events, workshops, internships and resources to help students find work, which you can read more about here: www.gla.ac.uk/myglasgow/careers/

If there is a particular career you have in mind, it may be helpful to reach out to people in those roles (whether in-person or LinkedIn, etc.) for advice. Both the University of Glasgow and the University of St. Andrews have highly competitive employability rates, so I would maybe recommend also thinking about where might offer the best experience for you (e.g., programme structure, student life, etc.).
More information on student life at Glasgow can be found here: www.gla.ac.uk/study/studentlife/

Best of luck with your decision, and let me know if you have any further questions!

Ben, 3rd Year
PhD Theatre Studies

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending