The Student Room Group

Burnt out/ depressed

My dad’s been in and out of hospital since june last year. Im currently in y13 and have been waitlisted by a medical school and rejected by one post interview.

I failed my theory today, and after a lot of tears applied on ucas extra for physician associate, messed up that interview and now i’ve just had sm setbacks that idk how much i can keep going.

I work so hard but my progress has been really slow.

I lowkey don’t care anymore, I feel like im too tired to care. My first exam is next Thursday.

Idk what to do, I see no point in anything anymore - I haven’t had my period in 7 months either, it might be stress but I’ve got an ultrasound to confirm it next tuesday
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
My dad’s been in and out of hospital since june last year. Im currently in y13 and have been waitlisted by a medical school and rejected by one post interview.
I failed my theory today, and after a lot of tears applied on ucas extra for physician associate, messed up that interview and now i’ve just had sm setbacks that idk how much i can keep going.
I lowkey don’t care anymore, I feel like im too tired to care. My first exam is next Thursday.
Idk what to do, I see no point in anything anymore - I haven’t had my period in 7 months either, it might be stress but I’ve got an ultrasound to confirm it next tuesday

there is point
cauze im sure ur dad want to be successful
so do this for him
and there are alwayz people who have experienced the same
if u wanna tlk u can pm me if u want
and it feels good sometimes to let things out
please talk to someone whether its a counsellor from school to a friend to a trusted adult, it IS worth it, there are so many success stories out there when to that oerson, it started to feel pointless.
focus on ur alevels, explore ur options such as clearings and even take a gap year to focus on urself and ur mental health.
it isnt the end of the world and you will regret not putting your all into these exams.
Reply 3
please talk to someone whether its a counsellor from school to a friend to a trusted adult, it IS worth it, there are so many success stories out there when to that oerson, it started to feel pointless.
focus on ur alevels, explore ur options such as clearings and even take a gap year to focus on urself and ur mental health.
it isnt the end of the world and you will regret not putting your all into these exams.

this is so true
many successful people had set backs
historical figures who reportedly wrestled with depression include Ernest Hemingway, Winston Churchill, psychoanalyst Sigmund Freud, and General William T. Sherman.
it interesting that winston churchill did which is good aswell or we wouldnt be in this society.
even celebs do
hope u feel motivated and carry on with life
just like the above post said
take gap year and sort out life.
later on u will look back and be like that was ages ago.

Mental health is like a roller coaster, there are highs and there are lows but no matter how hard it feels, you are stronger. There are people that are here to listen, whether at school, at home, online, there are people here. If you need someone to talk to, I'm here for you to message.
You are brave and you are strong, and whilst it doesn't always feel that way by reaching out tonight you've taken a great step. People often say talking about it is the hardest step, that first time reaching out, and you have done that so just know you're not alone. I understand it feels like there is a lot going on, I understand how that must feel for you, and looking after yourself is so so important as well. Give yourself time when you need it to rewind, do activities you enjoy, everything (including revision) has its balance.
I'm a year 13 studying history (Tudors, Weimar and Nazi Germany), English literature, and psychology, all AQA. If there is anything I can help you with for any of those subjects, then let me know and I can send you some of my resources.
Stay safe, take care of yourself, and don't be afraid to reach out!
Reply 5

I’ve had so many setbacks. I did bad in the UCAT despite revising 2-6 hours EVERYDAY for over a month but didn’t let it dishearten me and looked for a solution which was the BMAT. Had two interviews; got rejected + waitlisted. Kept working hard despite not getting the grades I want. My home life has been so bad as well, my dad’s had two heart attacks, kidney transplant and is now in hospital bc of an infection and i’ve not visited him, I barely speak to him and i feel helpless. My sister got diagnosed with cancer. My brother smokes weed and is stoned 24/7. I dont have the best relationship with my mum. I keep getting sm setbacks I don’t know what to do anymore, i’ve been giving it my all all year but I can’t anymore I just wany to breathe but I feel like im suffocating- I joke around ab it 24/7 so nobody takes me seriously or realised how MISERABLE i am. Every morning i jus look forward to it being night again
Reply 6
Original post by SharlLeglerg16
Mental health is like a roller coaster, there are highs and there are lows but no matter how hard it feels, you are stronger. There are people that are here to listen, whether at school, at home, online, there are people here. If you need someone to talk to, I'm here for you to message.
You are brave and you are strong, and whilst it doesn't always feel that way by reaching out tonight you've taken a great step. People often say talking about it is the hardest step, that first time reaching out, and you have done that so just know you're not alone. I understand it feels like there is a lot going on, I understand how that must feel for you, and looking after yourself is so so important as well. Give yourself time when you need it to rewind, do activities you enjoy, everything (including revision) has its balance.
I'm a year 13 studying history (Tudors, Weimar and Nazi Germany), English literature, and psychology, all AQA. If there is anything I can help you with for any of those subjects, then let me know and I can send you some of my resources.
Stay safe, take care of yourself, and don't be afraid to reach out!

Everything bores me now. I dont find joy in the things I used to and don’t see any point in anything either im so tired of pushing
hey, i was in a similar position as you during my GCSEs. I'm currently in y13 too and taking a gap year, like someone else said mental health is always going to have ups and downs, some really big downs at inconvenient times like exams and interviews. I'd recommend taking a year out, work and save up money and just give yourself the time you need to figure stuff out. it seems massive at the moment, but in the course of your life considering something else or taking a year out wont feel as big of a deal. hang in there, I'm here if you want somebody to talk to.

Quick Reply