The Student Room Group

How do I get into Princeton

I am studying in the UK but I want to go to the states specifically princeton or dartmouth. What should I do over the summer to try increase my chances of getting in. I got 8As and 2A* GCSEs and predicted 3As at Alevel, but have basic extracurriculars, what should I do ?
Reply 1
It depends on what year you are in, as the amount of time that you have will be important for something like this! Are you in year 12 or 13? I assume year 12 🤔
Original post by Anonymous
I am studying in the UK but I want to go to the states specifically princeton or dartmouth. What should I do over the summer to try increase my chances of getting in. I got 8As and 2A* GCSEs and predicted 3As at Alevel, but have basic extracurriculars, what should I do ?

Excellent academics would be a given, a variety of ECs undertaken at a high level (e.g. if competitive then county/regional if not national/international level usually) undertaking leadership role(s) (i.e. not just being a member of the club and showing) and using that role to make significant (positive) change, and they usually prefer to see these engaged with over the long term (i.e. usually for over a year).

If you're in year 12 now I don't think doing something over the summer will ameliorate a lack of long term, high level, leadership related ECs by itself. Of course there's nothing stopping you from applying but I think in that situation if you're not a legacy applicant your chances are probably more of a dice roll than anything (and I would suggest viewing it as such and not pegging your hopes and dreams to it).

Spoiler

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending