The Student Room Group

Is it worth purchasing a laptop/tablet for GCSEs?

I am currently doing my year 10 mocks. I noticed that a lot of people are bringing in iPads or laptops to school which they use during revision sessions in between tests. I don't own a laptop or tablet/iPad however I have saved around 800 pounds which I could use to buy one.

Do you think it's worth purchasing a laptop or tablet for GCSE exams?
Will I actually get time to use it in year 11 and will it be helpful?
Do you think laptops or tablets are better if they would be helpful?
Reply 1
Original post by VoiidDev
I am currently doing my year 10 mocks. I noticed that a lot of people are bringing in iPads or laptops to school which they use during revision sessions in between tests. I don't own a laptop or tablet/iPad however I have saved around 800 pounds which I could use to buy one.

I bought an iPad towards the end of year 10 and am so glad I did!

It’s made everything a lot easier and it definitely helps you to get organised etc. I did most of my past papers on there and found resources online that I saved and annotated etc

I personally don’t really have much use for a laptop as of now so an iPad is ideal especially because you can write on it directly. It might be good to make all your notes/revision digital etc so it’s all in one place and easy to access on the go.
Reply 2
Original post by VoiidDev

I do have an ipad which I used to some extent in year 10 mocks and some revision lessons, but for me personally it wasn't that useful- I have a pc at home which I use to revise, when I'm in school I either have past papers printed or I just use my phone. Also if you're revising between tests I'm not sure if looking at the screen is the best tbh, your eyes might get really tired/ you might get a headache. If you're doing a levels people do say that they're both useful, so then it could be worth it to have one ready before.
Reply 3
Original post by voiiddev

i have both, and ipads are more convenient- it is easier to do practice questions because you dont need to print them, i use use the notability app. Nearly everything. i can do on my laptop i can do on my ipad, and ipads are more portable

it is worth buying one, im in y11 atm and i bought it in february and have used it nearly every day, so you definitely will have time to use one

even if you need to do something more essay based, eg eng lit, you can get a keyboard case from £20+! a downside may be the fact that an ipad used for school is virtually useless without an apple pencil. I bought one from amazon for £20 originally, and it only worked well for 2 weeks before it started giving me issues, its just better to get the original apple pencil as i doubt youll face problems. however if you choose to purchase it, make sure it is compatible witih the ipad youre buying because not all of the ipads are compatible with different pencils and vice verse

hope i helped :smile:
(edited 2 months ago)
I personally think that everyone over the age of 5 should have a laptop, or a desktop PC.

Because you can get one for free or for under £200. £200 is enough to get you a really nice used business laptop that will last you for years.

IT (Information Technology) is such a large part of the modern world.
Being able to touch-type on a Qwerty keyboard is a useful skill to have.
As are plenty of other skills where a laptop or desktop would be the best (or only) tool to use to acquire them.

So yes, please go ahead and get yourself a laptop. But please get one for free or for less than £200. And invest the other £600 to £800 elsewhere. With personal development training being as good a use of this money as anything.

Quick Reply