The Student Room Group

Feeling depressed and lost

Background information: I completed school in 2020 without taking my GCSE exams due to COVID-19. Consequently, I received teacher-assessed grades. Over the next three years, I pursued catering at college with the ambition of becoming a chef. During this time, I managed to attain my maths GCSE on my first attempt and my English GCSE on my second attempt, finally having the opportunity to sit the exams after two years of COVID-19 disruptions. However, in my final year, I became disenchanted with the idea of being a chef and discovered a passion for geology. To pursue geology at university, I needed a science GCSE and planned to take an access course to higher education.

Now, my dilemma: I am currently taking GCSE biology and have already completed the first exam, with preparations underway for the second. Recently, I underwent an interview for the access course, which required me to undergo English, maths, and science assessments. Due to a lack of preparation time, I performed poorly. Consequently, I received an email rejecting my application due to my assessment performance. This rejection left me feeling depressed and questioning the significance of my GCSEs, as they seemed invalidated by this assessment. I have lost motivation to revise for my GCSE paper 2 exam, feeling it is pointless. Additionally, I am unable to apply for a foundation year because I need a combined science GCSE, which I am not currently studying. It feels like hitting a dead end, and the prospect of waiting another year to start over is disheartening. I am overwhelmed with feelings of hopelessness and depression.

I don't want to waste another 3 years and be feel to old and feel defeated
Reply 1
Original post by Geobaz
Background information: I completed school in 2020 without taking my GCSE exams due to COVID-19. Consequently, I received teacher-assessed grades. Over the next three years, I pursued catering at college with the ambition of becoming a chef. During this time, I managed to attain my maths GCSE on my first attempt and my English GCSE on my second attempt, finally having the opportunity to sit the exams after two years of COVID-19 disruptions. However, in my final year, I became disenchanted with the idea of being a chef and discovered a passion for geology. To pursue geology at university, I needed a science GCSE and planned to take an access course to higher education.
Now, my dilemma: I am currently taking GCSE biology and have already completed the first exam, with preparations underway for the second. Recently, I underwent an interview for the access course, which required me to undergo English, maths, and science assessments. Due to a lack of preparation time, I performed poorly. Consequently, I received an email rejecting my application due to my assessment performance. This rejection left me feeling depressed and questioning the significance of my GCSEs, as they seemed invalidated by this assessment. I have lost motivation to revise for my GCSE paper 2 exam, feeling it is pointless. Additionally, I am unable to apply for a foundation year because I need a combined science GCSE, which I am not currently studying. It feels like hitting a dead end, and the prospect of waiting another year to start over is disheartening. I am overwhelmed with feelings of hopelessness and depression.
I don't want to waste another 3 years and be feel to old and feel defeated

You can retake your GCSE maths, English and science at night school as I did this during lock down you just go a few evenings a week. I did mine at a local college and I did my exams there as well. You can call around a few unis and see what they require and what you need to get their as some offer foundation courses which lead you onto the uni course. Don't be dishearten - got rejected from all my courses I wanted to do (vet med) and im a mature student. I am currently doing a levels and feeling pretty demotivated but remember why you are doing this and where it's going to lead you. Small goals, you are doing great.

Quick Reply