The Student Room Group

Can you change from an art subject to a non art based subject?

I’m worried I won’t get into the uni I want to go to, if I don’t I think they’d offer me to do photography most likely, if they offer an alternative course at all, because i’m guaranteed a good grade in that, but i’ve been let down by one of my a levels which may prevent me getting a good grade, as in need BBC for Geography and i’m currently looking at ABE.

If i accepted to do this, would I be able to change onto a Geography course when first year begins?
Original post by greentiger
I’m worried I won’t get into the uni I want to go to, if I don’t I think they’d offer me to do photography most likely, if they offer an alternative course at all, because i’m guaranteed a good grade in that, but i’ve been let down by one of my a levels which may prevent me getting a good grade, as in need BBC for Geography and i’m currently looking at ABE.
If i accepted to do this, would I be able to change onto a Geography course when first year begins?

I'm not an expert at changing courses, but the general consensus is that if you meet all the necessary prerequisites of the course that you want to change to, there are spaces available on the course, and your course director for photography agrees to it, then you should be fine.

Having said that, if you wanted to change course, it would be better to reapply via UCAS anyway.

If you are getting an E in one of your subjects, it might be an idea to spend a gap year picking a different A Level subject (that doesn't have coursework) to do privately to give yourself a better chance of going to a different university doing a geography degree.
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous
I'm not an expert at changing courses, but the general consensus is that if you meet all the necessary prerequisites of the course that you want to change to, there are spaces available on the course, and your course director for photography agrees to it, then you should be fine.
Having said that, if you wanted to change course, it would be better to reapply via UCAS anyway.
If you are getting an E in one of your subjects, it might be an idea to spend a gap year picking a different A Level subject (that doesn't have coursework) to do privately to give yourself a better chance of going to a different university doing a geography degree.
I’m already a year behind because I did this, and yet I’m doing no better, I don’t really want to take another year out so I’m feeling really stuck
Reply 3
I’m already a year behind because I did this, and yet I’m doing no better, I don’t really want to take another year out so I’m feeling really stuck

What subject is letting you down?Do you know what the problem with it is for you?
Reply 4
Original post by Scotney
What subject is letting you down?Do you know what the problem with it is for you?

Business, i’ve just never understood it at all and my teachers never taught us how to answer questions or helped with revision unlike my other class. I learnt more going through it with my mum before first exam than I ever did with her 🤣. I’m just trying to revise as much as possible and try what I can but I still don’t think it’ll be good enough to get the grades in Business to do Geography, since they want BBC.
Reply 5
https://youtu.be/MlnFotFIdZQ?si=8InKWkHglPSbZkq1
Look for YouTube videos like this one.Have you actually applied for Geography?
Business, i’ve just never understood it at all and my teachers never taught us how to answer questions or helped with revision unlike my other class. I learnt more going through it with my mum before first exam than I ever did with her 🤣. I’m just trying to revise as much as possible and try what I can but I still don’t think it’ll be good enough to get the grades in Business to do Geography, since they want BBC.

A lot of it should involve in depth analysis and a lot of critical thinking applied to the specific context of the questions.

A 1-5 mark question is typically textbook material. The 5-25 mark questions would involve a lot more application.

I tend to prefer to think of it as applying strategic thinking to the situation and how I would see it if I analysed the different scenarios and issues if I was the manager.

Like @Scotney has mentioned, you could look for videos on YouTube to get tips for improving your score. See the following for example:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xdWBh3SxFqo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9GF7H3zHDQk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O5Dymo1Dnug

Quick Reply