The Student Room Group

Question on A level grade boundaries?

So, I take CIE A levels, and AS is worth 50% while A2 is worth 50%. I was wondering how do they determine grade boundaries for the overall A levels? For example, you can carry your AS grades from May/June 2024, or Oct/Nov 2024, to May/June 2025. But the grade boundaries and difficulty level for May/June 2024 and Oct/Nov 2024 will be different so how do they fairly determine the grade boundaries??
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous182120
So, I take CIE A levels, and AS is worth 50% while A2 is worth 50%. I was wondering how do they determine grade boundaries for the overall A levels? For example, you can carry your AS grades from May/June 2024, or Oct/Nov 2024, to May/June 2025. But the grade boundaries and difficulty level for May/June 2024 and Oct/Nov 2024 will be different so how do they fairly determine the grade boundaries??

Grade boundaries are determined by the overall performance of the cohort. If the average grade was overall lower the grade boundaries will be lower (marks for a certain UMS will be lower) as that is an indication that the paper wasn't as easy as another paper where the average grade was higher. And the grade boundaries are independent for each exam so if you sat the May/June or Oct/Nov the UMS you come out with from either will be equivalent even if one paper was harder, so it will not affect your A-level grade.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending