The Student Room Group

Is doing past papers enough?

Hi! I hope everyone's revision is going well! Does anyone know if doing all the past papers from
2017-2023 plus the mock papers and maybe the predicated papers is enough to get an A/B in A-level maths and chemistry (with chem im also doing all the topic questions)? I'm currently working at a C/B level in both subjects and my first exam is in three weeks. I understand the content fairly well for maths but I get confused easily by the written questions because I don't always understand what they're asking of me and for chem I’m good at physical and inorganic but not organic. Any and all advice is appreciated. Thank you!
(edited 1 month ago)
Reply 1
Hey there!
It’s good that you’re doing all past papers but they’re just select examples of topics you revise about, It’s always good to re jog your memory of certain topics through flash cards also.
I also recommend looking at topic-specific question sheets (for maths if anything) such as differentiation specific worksheets to nail that topic down and be more ready for anything they throw at you, you can find them through your usual maths workbook but also through maths genie. Look at how they’ve gotten through to the answer in the solution sheet to further help grasp
Original post by filtz
Hey there!
It’s good that you’re doing all past papers but they’re just select examples of topics you revise about, It’s always good to re jog your memory of certain topics through flash cards also.
I also recommend looking at topic-specific question sheets (for maths if anything) such as differentiation specific worksheets to nail that topic down and be more ready for anything they throw at you, you can find them through your usual maths workbook but also through maths genie. Look at how they’ve gotten through to the answer in the solution sheet to further help grasp

Hi thank you so much for your advice! My teachers were telling me at this point to mainly focus on past papers and questions and I’m starting to feel panicked from the lack of time but I’ll definitely focus more on topic specific questions. I can’t answer the questions in the exam if I don’t know past what’s already come up lmao. Thank you so much again I appreciate you taking the time to reply!!
(edited 1 month ago)
Original post by StarryNights017
Hi! I hope everyone's revision is going well! Does anyone know if doing all the past papers from
2017-2023 plus the mock papers and maybe the predicated papers is enough to get an A/B in A-level maths and chemistry (with chem im also doing all the topic questions)? I'm currently working at a C/B level in both subjects and my first exam is in three weeks. I understand the content fairly well for maths but I get confused easily by the written questions because I don't always understand what they're asking of me and for chem I’m good at physical and inorganic but not organic. Any and all advice is appreciated. Thank you!
Doing past papers is one thing - using them effectively is another.

Once you do a past paper, mark it, write corrections and then use the questions you lost marks on to identify your weakest topics to focus on (i.e by watching videos on them/reading notes/doing topic specific questions).

I would say yes, use past papers and do so effectively as you will see an improvement in your marks. But make sure to recap areas where you don’t understand the answers or how they were reached also as there is no guarantee you will be able to reproduce such answers in an exam if they remain weak areas.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending