The Student Room Group

2:2 undergrad law degree options

I got a 2:2 in my undergrad law degree and I just got done with my masters and I got a 2:1 in that, it was due to extenuating circumstances that I got a 2:2 and I know that it doesn’t really matter what the reasons are it just matters that I got a 2:2. But I’m actually planning on doing the BPTC and I know that securing a pupilage especially with a 2:2 is extremely hard, I do feel like giving it a try though since criminal defence has always been a passion of mine, but I also wanted to know what are my other options if I am unable to secure a pupilage? What are the other career options I could go for if I were to take the Bar and not be able to secure a pupilage? Or would it be better for me to do the LPC instead? (Also I’m in international student studying in the UK). Any and all advice would be appreciated greatly, thank you.
(edited 2 months ago)
Realistically you won't secure a pupillage with a 2.2. A criminal solicitor role may be more achievable as it's a low paid area that struggles to attract candidates. You don't need LPC it's a pass in SQE 1 and 2 unless you are caught by transition rules. It's less about academics and more about your personality for criminal work. Potentially you could then take your higher rights of audience. Have you looked at CPS for roles.
Reply 2
Original post by dixiechick1975
Realistically you won't secure a pupillage with a 2.2. A criminal solicitor role may be more achievable as it's a low paid area that struggles to attract candidates. You don't need LPC it's a pass in SQE 1 and 2 unless you are caught by transition rules. It's less about academics and more about your personality for criminal work. Potentially you could then take your higher rights of audience. Have you looked at CPS for roles.
Thank you for the advice, I have looked at CPS roles but a lot of people say it’s still quite difficult to secure a TC or pupilage with a 2:2, or is it not too difficult since it usually has a lower amount of candidates?
(edited 2 months ago)
Still very difficult. I’d cast net wider and look at small firms who will judge more on overall application and also look at areas like local government legal. They deal with magistrates court work eg traveller eviction, planning enforcement.
Realistically you may need to work as a paralegal for a few years and then look at qualifying.
Personality is key for crime. It’s not an area that lots of younger people want to go into for lifestyle reasons - low pay and always on call.
Original post by Ambrose_tp
I got a 2:2 in my undergrad law degree and I just got done with my masters and I got a 2:1 in that, it was due to extenuating circumstances that I got a 2:2 and I know that it doesn’t really matter what the reasons are it just matters that I got a 2:2. But I’m actually planning on doing the BPTC and I know that securing a pupilage especially with a 2:2 is extremely hard, I do feel like giving it a try though since criminal defence has always been a passion of mine, but I also wanted to know what are my other options if I am unable to secure a pupilage? What are the other career options I could go for if I were to take the Bar and not be able to secure a pupilage? Or would it be better for me to do the LPC instead? (Also I’m in international student studying in the UK). Any and all advice would be appreciated greatly, thank you.

Hi @Ambrose_tp

It isn't impossible to obtain pupillage with a 2:2 particularly with extenuating circumstances and a higher grade in a Masters. However, you are right that it won't be easy and this may act as a barrier to your success. I wouldn't give up on it just for this reason, you can always apply and see how far you get in the pupillage process.

Other than obtaining pupillage, you could look at other careers such as being a legal assistant, a paralegal, a advocate for a charity or other similar careers that require a legal qualification. Equally, you could try and cross-qualify as a solicitor but this also may be met with the same challenges due to a slightly lower degree qualification.

Ultimately, I would recommend reaching out to practicing barristers to see if they think your circumstances will prevent you obtaining pupillage. I would then also see if you can research different legal careers to find one you are interested in. There are lots of route to the bar and none are the right one so I would say keep going!

I hope this helps and good luck 🙂

Quick Reply