The Student Room Group

Anxiety is controlling my life

So my mental health has been the best for years. I was diagnosed with anxiety and depression some years ago but I was mostly focused on dealing with the depression, as were the mental health professionals. As it was stopping me from getting up, I had to be on medication etc.

But I've come to realise, whilst the depression is gone, the anxiety is everywhere.

Everything I do I overthink and catastrophise. Since learning to drive 3 years ago it is mostly around that, thinking I will get fined or lose my license for minor driving errors. I don't know if there's an element of OCD in it because I repeat the exact same process. It's like with my car, I insist on going back to unlock it, and then lock it. I know its locked but I have to do it.

I feel anxious about other stuff, like feeling people are out to get me. Or that I have upset someone like a friend, or when I was going on dates before I met my partner, i'd always worry and be anxious if I had said something to upset or offend a girl. Another way in which anxiety has manifested itself in my life is things to do with food poisoning. Since going to uni and cooking I constantly fret about whether I have poisoned myself by undercooking something. Again, it's like an OCD thing where I then spend hours researching symptoms and wondering if I have them.

Is there any coping strategies or anything I can use. I've seen therapists before but again that is mostly addressing my depression, and I don't really want to see another one. it seems at odds with who I am now, as generally a confident, happy person with everything they have. But it just sems like anxiety has taken over my life. I also get intrusive thoughts, usually based around taboo things, eg, thoguhts telling myself that I'm a racist or a paedophile or around incest or dirty things like that.

I haven't really ever talked about this before because it's been so omnipresent in my life since for literally as long as I care to remember it's almost normalised for me but I realise now its not necessarily normal.
I'm sorry to hear you are struggling with anxiety. I also have anxious thoughts, (and I'm too anxious to go to the doctors for any diagnosis, I get scared that they will brush me off), but I did find talking therapies with a local service quite helpful (I self-referred online so whilst I did have to talk to someone through triage and then do all my appointments over the phone, it made it all a bit easier for me).

Talking about anything is the first step! Tell yourself how you feel, tell other people how you feel, tell strangers through an anonymous profile or tell your closest people who you can trust.

Try to rationalise your thoughts (far easier said than done). Grounding techniques, anti-anxiety tasks (I have a colouring book, just to get my mind focussed on one thing), letting it out physically (from a walk to workout to maybe a rage room). There are a lot of resources online but not everything works for everyone.

There is an online community called Side by Side ran by Mind mental health services, it might be a good place to connect with people going through sinilar experiences and a lot of people have good wisdom to part with, coping mechanisms and self-help amongst the sulport and friendliness. Although that is just my experience of the community.

Wishing you well!
Original post by Anonymous
So my mental health has been the best for years. I was diagnosed with anxiety and depression some years ago but I was mostly focused on dealing with the depression, as were the mental health professionals. As it was stopping me from getting up, I had to be on medication etc.
But I've come to realise, whilst the depression is gone, the anxiety is everywhere.
Everything I do I overthink and catastrophise. Since learning to drive 3 years ago it is mostly around that, thinking I will get fined or lose my license for minor driving errors. I don't know if there's an element of OCD in it because I repeat the exact same process. It's like with my car, I insist on going back to unlock it, and then lock it. I know its locked but I have to do it.
I feel anxious about other stuff, like feeling people are out to get me. Or that I have upset someone like a friend, or when I was going on dates before I met my partner, i'd always worry and be anxious if I had said something to upset or offend a girl. Another way in which anxiety has manifested itself in my life is things to do with food poisoning. Since going to uni and cooking I constantly fret about whether I have poisoned myself by undercooking something. Again, it's like an OCD thing where I then spend hours researching symptoms and wondering if I have them.
Is there any coping strategies or anything I can use. I've seen therapists before but again that is mostly addressing my depression, and I don't really want to see another one. it seems at odds with who I am now, as generally a confident, happy person with everything they have. But it just sems like anxiety has taken over my life. I also get intrusive thoughts, usually based around taboo things, eg, thoguhts telling myself that I'm a racist or a paedophile or around incest or dirty things like that.
I haven't really ever talked about this before because it's been so omnipresent in my life since for literally as long as I care to remember it's almost normalised for me but I realise now its not necessarily normal.

i have depression to it is ruining my life i have self harmed because of it it is controlling my life and my anxiety is getting worse to
Original post by ivanita12
i have depression to it is ruining my life i have self harmed because of it it is controlling my life and my anxiety is getting worse to

Please read the above reply I have left to the original post, it has some information that might be helpful to you.

I'm sorry to hear you have been struggling with depression, anxiety and self harm. You are not alone in this struggle, please remember that.

You can reach out for help at many places, tell people you trust if you think they can help and be supportive, tell a GP, or use online services such as Mind. There are also helplines for phonecalls and texting if you are struggling with self harm and need some support. Talking about your mental health can be helpful. There is also self help such as writing your feelings down, practicing mindfullness, and some others. Different things work for different people.

Wishing you all the best :smile:
Please read the above reply I have left to the original post, it has some information that might be helpful to you.
I'm sorry to hear you have been struggling with depression, anxiety and self harm. You are not alone in this struggle, please remember that.
You can reach out for help at many places, tell people you trust if you think they can help and be supportive, tell a GP, or use online services such as Mind. There are also helplines for phonecalls and texting if you are struggling with self harm and need some support. Talking about your mental health can be helpful. There is also self help such as writing your feelings down, practicing mindfullness, and some others. Different things work for different people.
Wishing you all the best :smile:

Can you send me the link to it plz
Original post by ivanita12
Can you send me the link to it plz

??

There is a lot of support out there such as:

-The Samaritans, you can call 116 123, which is available 24 hours a day

-Mind, 0300 123 3393

-Saneline, 0300 304 7000, from 4.30pm-10.30pm

-The mix, 0800 808 4994, 11am-11pm

-SHOUT, text 852258, 24 hour text service

-Crises, 741741, text service

-Papyrus, 0800 068 4141, if you have thoughts of suicide or in emotional distress

-Rethink mental health, 0300 5000 927

-No Panic, 0800 138 8889

-Relate, they have a chat advisor

-Mental Health 24/7: 0800 008 6516

-hubofhope website, useful contact information for your local area

You can self refer yourself to talking therapies on the NHS website.

There is the mind forum

Also Facebook groups

You can join support groups

You can contact a crises team if things get very bad

Plenty of resources online, information regarding well being.
Original post by Analyst89
There is a lot of support out there such as:
-The Samaritans, you can call 116 123, which is available 24 hours a day
-Mind, 0300 123 3393
-Saneline, 0300 304 7000, from 4.30pm-10.30pm
-The mix, 0800 808 4994, 11am-11pm
-SHOUT, text 852258, 24 hour text service
-Crises, 741741, text service
-Papyrus, 0800 068 4141, if you have thoughts of suicide or in emotional distress
-Rethink mental health, 0300 5000 927
-No Panic, 0800 138 8889
-Relate, they have a chat advisor
-Mental Health 24/7: 0800 008 6516
-hubofhope website, useful contact information for your local area
You can self refer yourself to talking therapies on the NHS website.
There is the mind forum
Also Facebook groups
You can join support groups
You can contact a crises team if things get very bad
Plenty of resources online, information regarding well being.

Thank you

Quick Reply

Latest